Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

opening locally stored webpage in Browser?

Hi,

sorry if this is a dumb question - but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere: 

Is it possible to open an html page that is stored on the BlackBerry (Bold in my case) in the Browser?

I tried typing  file://Device%20Memory/home/user/documents/myFile.html  but that gives me an error ("problem rendering the page")

I also tried opening it from the file browser (Explore) in Media, but that opens it in some preview app or so that doesn't seem to have the same CSS and JavaScript support than the actual Browser.

Does anyone know another way?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: opening locally stored webpage in Browser?

using the URL is the correct way. What is the content of the page ? Maybe there is really something complicated in it.

The solution from the Media Explorer in fact does not open the browser, but a viewer (meaning the links do not work).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

Try using three slashes after the file: instead of two.
New Developer

Thanks a lot Xandrex and staktrace - you got me a little bit further, at least:

I tried using 3 slashes after file: but that didn't seem to help. Then I moved the file into the system folder to eliminate any problems caused by the  URL-encoded "Device Memory" - and there it worked (with 3 slashes)!

But of course I'd much prefere not keeping my stuff in "System", especially since I can't put files there directly when copying them from the desktop. So, is there any other way to address "Device Memory"? I'm using "Device%20Memory" - is there anything else the BlackBerry browser uses to represent a space (it won't actually let me type one) ...?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Developer

After googling this problem a bit I think you might have to use "store" instead of "Device%20Memory" for it to work. Try file:///store/home/whatever.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=131
New Developer

Awesome! That's it!! 

Thanks a lot!

New Developer

Just for the benefit of anyone else skimming this post: the thread quoted by staktrace above also gives the 'internal' address of the Media Card:

file:///SDCard/