Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

"Let us do all the work", What does this mean?

Received email from RIM, said "Great news! We tested your BlackBerry® PlayBook™ app and we can get it ready for BlackBerry® 10 and into BlackBerry App World™ without any action from you".

I am a bit confused here, does that mean my PlayBook WebWorks apps work for all BB10 devices (phone & tablet) or, BB10 on PlayBook only?

I never tried any BB10 device or simulator but I am pretty sure these WebWorks apps can be launched on a BB10 device, however they may not display properly as these apps are made for PlayBook's, layout / font size / picture size / etc are specially optimized for PlayBook's screen size, I don't know how horrible it looks like on a phone but I doubt "without any action from you".

I think I need to opt-out for such auto-port things unless it means for PlayBook BB10 only.

Contributor
DMA2011
My Device: playbook

Re: "Let us do all the work", What does this mean?

Exactly the same questions here, with the same issues re sizing being optimized for playbook.  I am in the process of emailing the contact address to get clarification of just what actions are to be taken,  what we can expect and when, but it would be much better  for all if some kind of public clarification was posted.

Retired
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

If you received a "Let us do all the work" email, it means our App World team loaded your (PlayBook) app on a BlackBerry 10 device and it looked as good as it did on PlayBook.  Nice work putting together a well-designed app!

The App World testing team reviewed many existing PlayBook applications and tested to see if, when loaded on a BlackBerry 10 device, how well would they behave?  They vetted things like screen display and resolution, application errors and any other user experience concerns that may be an issue.

Since all WebWorks apps created using the Tablet OS SDK are actually AIR apps (the SDK produced an AIR container for the WebWorks application content), they will all 'run' on BlackBerry 10.  However, how well they 'look' might be a different story.  If you got a "let us do the work" email, it means everything is good on your end.

We want to see you continue to have success on BlackBerry 10.  Developers are encouraged to accept this invitation and have their apps published in App World for BlackBerry 10 users.

If you have any futher concerns, try testing it out yourself.  The BlackBerry 10 simulator is just a single click away.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Trusted Contributor
sh2sg
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

I contacted RIM and they sent me the screenshots of my apps running on BB10 Dev device, looks pretty fit into BB10 Dev device screen. Playbook's resloution is 1024 x 600, BB10 Dev device is 1280 x 768 so guess re-sizing or scaling issue is minimal.

Only one minor issue, check the screenshots below, there is a white/empty area at the bottom of BB10 screen, guess that is due to screen height? PB apps run on letterbox mode if height is fixed to 600 (eg, a background image)? 

Maybe I should try BB10 simulator and make the PB apps adapt to screen size, it could be a minor change but at least, "without any action from you" is not very true if you want your PB apps to be displayed perfectly on BB10.

PlayBook

PB

BB10

BB10