Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
HuskerSam
My Device: Not Specified

textarea.value and javascript

[ Edited ]

I'm able to use javascript in some older blackberries to set the contents of textareas (multi-line text boxes).  In the newer 8830, the textarea is not accepting the .value change.

I'm still able to update the .value of buttons and textboxes (single line).  Have others seen this?

Is there a "multi-line" cell or field or text box that I can update using javascript? 

Possibly I can "wrap" the text myself, and use multiple single line text boxes (yuck!) - but since the text area was updatable in older blackberries, but this functionality was tossed out in the newer ones, was there something else added that I missed?

Message Edited by HuskerSam on 09-16-2008 11:34 AM
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: textarea.value and javascript

Please verify that JavaScript is enabled on the newer BlackBerry handheld you are testing with.  This is set by opening the browser, selecting Options from the menu and then Browser Configuration.

If you still have an issue, can you provide a sample page or URL?

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: textarea.value and javascript

HuskerSam wrote:

I'm able to use javascript in some older blackberries to set the contents of textareas (multi-line text boxes).  In the newer 8830, the textarea is not accepting the .value change.

Hello,

I am not sure it should...
you are using the textarea element from DOM2 that is implemented in javascript. The attributes of that DOM Object are defined here :
http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-24874179

I quote :

value of type DOMString
Represents the current contents of the corresponding form control, in an interactive user agent. Changing this attribute changes the contents of the form control, but does not change the contents of the element.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.