Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

uniquely identify a blackberry at the web server end with server side languages or similar

I am currently developing intranet applications for a fleet of: Perl 8100 v4.2.1.66 devices 

The aim of the application is to make content available using WAP/XHTML pages to our users when they are out and about.

So far so good, and after modifying rules in our B.E.S. we can not surf intranet pages and they are displaying well in the blackberry default browser.

PROBLEM:

Some pages have sensitive content, and will like to know if there is a way to uniquely identify a blackberry user as to only display content that each user is privileged to.

What I have don’t so far:

I have followed all the documentation I could get my hands on online, and only found the JavaScript objects: blackberry.location and blackberry.network none that can uniquely identify one device/user form another.

All the blackberry devices have the same IP address that is in fact the IP of the B.E.S. that appears to be acting as a proxy server.

QUESTION:

How can one uniquely identify a blackberry at the web server end with server side languages or similar, I am open to ideas.

Is there a CGI header or more information on what gets sent from the blackberry to the BES,

or a setting on the BES I can turn on to allow unique identification of devices when it works as a proxy.

Thank you for your time.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: uniquely identify a blackberry at the web server end with server side languages or similar

Check out this article, I think it addresses your problems

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800878/800733/How_To_...

Cheers

Andrew