Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
hobnob
My Device: BB 9900
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

want to develop - where to start?

Hello everyone!

I have a couple of ideas in mind to develop some apps for the Playbook and, if possible, to be able to port these to the upcoming BB10 platform in the future.

I'm rather new at this, but do have background knowledge in coding.

Where would I start with the development and what would be the best method to code for the Playbook and future BB10?

Are there specific SDK's, other tools, simulators that I can use. 

I've searched  around but the info I found seems rather convoluted.

Many thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Re: want to develop - where to start?

Get yourself over to the root site and download tools: https://developer.blackberry.com/

Get a SDK of your choice depending on what programming style you know.

Follow the tutorials

I for one like the easiness of jQuery Mobile, but I just wrote an app using bbui.js which is so dead easy.  It gives you BB styling across almost all phones, the Playbook and upcoming BB10.  With minimal effort I converted a playbook app into a phone app.  It really is a coool UI.

https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js

If you know web and HTML5 it's as simple as designing a web page, testing in your browser and then compiling with webworks.  You can even take existing websites and convert them into apps, provided there's no dynamic PHP or ASP stuff involved.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
hobnob

Sweet, thanks!

I'd like have a go at making an alternate language keyboard for the PB to start and get warmed up.... In this case, would one use the PB SDK to use the existing code or does the new language kbd have to be recreated and layered?

Also what is considered more native to the PB and BB10? js, air or webworks?

Please use plain text.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

What do you mean by alternative language keyboard.  Do you mean alternative language dictionary?

When it comes to BB10 from what I've seen there seems to be no "more" native language.  However I think you will run into limitations when using HTML5 / webworks eventually when doing some high end stuff.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
hobnob

[ Edited ]

Different language kbd without switching main language on PB. More precisely just selecting a different  set of characters for keyboard input in various situations (web entry, direct doc entry, etc). Say I want the main OS in English, but just temporarily switch the kbd to a different language, German, Slovak, what-have-you. Like it is now on regular BBs when you hit ALT-ENTER (you can pick a different language if the OS is multilingual).

Now, as the Playbook comes pre-installed with a limited number of languages (based on region?), I'd like to add the availability of a different  language input characters in the kbd. Perhaps by pressing that "globe" icon, or some other means.

I'd like to make something like that but not sure how to proceed and which coding lang is best for this purpose.

Seems RIM really made input language into a real hassle.  Android, i-stuff, you select a language of your choice (100+ languages) for direct entry and bingo.

Checking https://developer.blackberry.com/ there are quite a few choices:

Native C/C++/QT

HTML5/Webworks

Action Script/ Adobe Air

Android Java

Blackberry Java

Please use plain text.