Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
blubee
My Device: none
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

webworks projects and multiple blackberry versions

Hello html5 webworks developers

I created a webworks helloworld test project using the latest webworks sdk. Now I was having issues loading the .bar file on the playbook simulator but using the dev alpha 10 simulator there's no problem at all.

My question : I though the webworks projects worked on all blackberry devices? Do I have to have all versions of the sdk and build each project seperately or Is this something that will resolve itself once I sign my projects and upload them to the blackberry appworld?

Also I have to use the command line to build my projects.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: webworks projects and multiple blackberry versions

Hi there, you will need to use the specific SDK for each platform (i.e. PlayBook SDK for PlayBook, BB10 SDK for BB10, etc.) A BB10 SDK packaged application will not run on PlayBook because there is an inherent difference in how those APIs communicate with the device.

The command-line is one option for building, but you can also use Ripple (which invokes the command-line on your behalf) to package a project.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
blubee
My Device: none
My Carrier: none

Hi oros

This puts me back in a tough spot. I am on linux and there doesn't seem to be a way to install the earlier blackberry os sdk on linux.

I am able to build blackberry 10 webworks apps on linux but it seems almost impossible to build it for blackberry playbook or blackberry smartphones since those sdk's are not supported on linux.

I think I will just continue to develop the webworks app and target test them on the version 10 simulator I have now and deal with the lower version build files at a later date when I can figure something out for building the apps for tablet os and smartphones.

This still brings another question to mind. How does blackberry world deal with the different applications. For example do you upload 1 for tablet os, 1 for smartphones and 1 for blackberry 10? I ask because I applied for a vendor's account but I haven't heard a reply yet so I still have some time to actually see blackberry world vendor back end.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

You are correct. In App World you create a product which can have multiple releases. For each release, you can upload a separate BAR file and specify exactly which OS/device/carrier versions you want to target with that release.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.