Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Welcome & Introductions

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

How Formal Support Works

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

Obtaining formal support for BlackBerry devices can often be quite confusing and challenging. At those times, our goal here is to provide you with as clear an understanding as possible as to the root cause of your issue...which, once determined, will define the proper path for you to take to seek the formal support you require.

The first thing to understand is that front line formal support NEVER starts with BlackBerry...nor with these forums (this site is user-to-user, as discussed in this thread). However, the proper path for you to obtain formal support can be impacted by several circumstances:

• Service-related support normally starts with your carrier/mobile service provider
  • Device-related support (including warranty) normally starts with the reseller of the device to you
  • In some cases, your specific contract may override these, and assign your front-line support to some other entity
  • In some regions, the use of service centers overrides these methods
  • All of the authorized entities (carriers, authorized resellers, service centers) have access to a formal channel for escalation to BlackBerry. But end users have no (free) access to such a direct contact to BlackBerry for any support whatsoever...if BlackBerry needs to become involved, that must start with the above, and they would need to escalate through those formal channels.
  • In some very sad circumstances, you may well have no warranty or formal support available whatsoever -- such is all too often the case if you have purchased your BlackBerry via any "unauthorized" channels (e.g, eBay, "Grey Markets", personal purchase transactions, etc.)

Now here is where it can get complicated (I know...as if that's not already complicated enough!!!).

• When a device is purchased from the same entity that provides the services (e.g., the mobile service provider/carrier), then support is typically the cleanest...that one entity is responsible for all front line support, regardless of the root cause of the issue (device or service).
  • But, when the device was purchased at other than the carrier (e.g., an independent shop), things can get quite tricky indeed.

Truly determining the root cause of the issue (device or service) can be challenging sometimes, and there can be a tendency of each entity to blame the other, without really digging deeply -- sadly, this can leave you in a bit of a pickle. So, our goal here is to always try to help you figure out (as best possible) the true root cause of your issue -- from which, if formal support is indeed required, your path is then determined.

Here are some examples that may help you understand better how it all works:

If you did not purchase your device from your carrier and the issue is determined to be device-related:

• Your carrier would actually be 100% correct in denying you support in that specific situation, for that is exactly what the contracts require.
  • However, if in that denial they say things to you like "contact the maker", then that advice is actually quite flawed. As discussed above, you have no free path by which to do that...only via formal escalation (channels for which the end users do not have free access) can attention from BlackBerry be achieved. So that escalation needs to come from the proper front line device support entity (as determined by the above), not by you.
  • In such a case (a device-related issue), your carrier should instead be referring you to your purchase contract and/or your original place of purchase for information regarding your support and escalation options in that circumstance.

On the other hand, if the carrier also sold you the device yet has directed you elsewhere for device-related support:

• That agent has most likely simply fobbed you off, for that is not the proper method of handling the situation, and you should escalate with them (your carrier) to find someone who properly understands how to provide support to their paying customers.
  • Unless, of course, you agreed to a contract that allows your carrier to not provide you with support...in which case your specific contract would govern the situation. Such would be unusual, but not impossible -- you would need to review your copy of your contract(s) to be certain.

There is something called Incident Support from BlackBerry available to end users, but it costs to just ask the initial question, since you are bypassing the contract you signed upon purchase/subscription to services. If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

There also might be some good reading here:

Cheers, and Good Luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II

Re: How Formal Support Works

An addition -- BES. If you are on BES, then please be sure to involve your BES admins in all diagnostic and resolution activities you conduct, be they formal or otherwise. Your BES admins control a great deal concerning your device, and they need to be involved whenever you have issues.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Hall of Famer II

Another addition, thanks to input from others.

For PlayBook, your support may indeed start with BlackBerry (e.g., 90 days free support after registration). But, as already stated, all support is dictated by the terms of your contract at purchase...so you need to carefully review that documentation to understand how your specific support channels work.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9600
My Carrier: vodafone

What do i do if the hand set is being send time and again to Black Berry Service Center ( thice in two month) Hand set has been replaced to a brand new one and still there is functional trouble. Where does a customer complain?

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9600
My Carrier: vodafone

can u elobrate on this please

Hall of Famer II

SAHANI60 wrote:

What do i do if the hand set is being send time and again to Black Berry Service Center ( thice in two month) Hand set has been replaced to a brand new one and still there is functional trouble. Where does a customer complain?

Hello,

Based on what you have said, I would guess (again, I have no access to your specific contractual documents) that you escalate with the Service Center...to their Management, and then up their Management chain. If they (your Service Center) will provide you with a case number to allow you to directly speak to BlackBerry, then you can do that without fee. Otherwise, if you want to speak to BlackBerry, you must use Incident Support as discussed above.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8530

What do I do for support if the problem is with the Blackberry Desktop software?

Hall of Famer II

vic6 wrote:

What do I do for support if the problem is with the Blackberry Desktop software?

Hello,

That is a bit trickier...I'd recommend starting with the boards here on this site...many users have many good suggestions and experience:

If you truly need formal support, then you'd need to convince either your carrier or your device support provider to escalate your case up to BlackBerry. Or, pay for Incident Support.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Mobinil

A complaint about agent blackberry in Egypt ( Raya)

Hi .

I want to know the Globle Email address and phone number of the blackberry complaint , to send my issue about the agent of blackberry in egypt (Raya)

Because the servers at that agent is too poor and take much time in maintenance without any response till now..

Hall of Famer II

Re: A complaint about agent blackberry in Egypt ( Raya)

yasser4ever wrote:

Hi .

I want to know the Globle Email address and phone number of the blackberry complaint , to send my issue about the agent of blackberry in egypt (Raya)

Because the servers at that agent is too poor and take much time in maintenance without any response till now..

Hello,

I know of no such contact information for you for this matter...the normal methods are via formal support and escalation, as discussed above in this thread. You might try searching the main BB site (www.blackberry.com), perhaps their "Contact Us" section. Alternatively, you could search via telephone directories for BB corporate offices. But I know of no contact information that exactly matches your desire.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates