Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Welcome & Introductions

Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: ATT

New to the BB application development

Hello Word!

I am a computer engineer student and I am working on my graduation project which happen to have a BB application. I will appreciate your inputs on my questions.

See you around

Osvaldo

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: New to the BB application development

Hi Osvaldo,

Welcome to BlackBerry support community forums. Glad to have you in the community.

Please check our development board for knowing more on application development.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey, I'm in Comp Eng as well! :smileyvery-happy: University of Waterloo, first-year. What school do you attend?

Anyway, this forum is incredibly helpful to new Developers. You'll often find me lurking in the Java Development section.

Link dump:

BlackBerry Developer's Zone

BlackBerry Knowledge Base

BlackBerry Developer's Blog

BlackBerry Video Library

RIM APIs

JVM Codes (incomplete)

Code Signing (Restricted APIs)

Eclipse Samples

BlackBerry JDE Samples

See you around, and good luck with your project,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums oquinones! :smileyhappy:

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101    Tips & Tricks

Glad to have you here! :smileyvery-happy:

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Contributor

Thanks for the Welcome. I am going to Florida International University. Thanks for the links See you around

Contributor

Thanks for the welcome irvin. I am really looking forward to have a great time around here and I hope the knowledge I get via this forums  help me on my project.

As of now mayor challenges :

1.  handeling multiple screen. My application has 7 and hopelly there is not need for data retention when moving from screen to screen. Can I have multiple main screen or I should implement just one and the rest full screens.

2. Placing bitmaps or bottuns on specifics locations of the screens. So far I am using field Managers to  handle the objects to screen .

Thanks in advance  for your help

Regards

Osvaldo

Contributor

Thanks for the welcome message. See you around.

Developer

oquinones wrote:

Thanks for the welcome irvin. I am really looking forward to have a great time around here and I hope the knowledge I get via this forums  help me on my project.

As of now mayor challenges :

1.  handeling multiple screen. My application has 7 and hopelly there is not need for data retention when moving from screen to screen. Can I have multiple main screen or I should implement just one and the rest full screens.

2. Placing bitmaps or bottuns on specifics locations of the screens. So far I am using field Managers to  handle the objects to screen .

Thanks in advance  for your help

Regards

Osvaldo

1. Multiple screens isn't that big an issue, but I don't think you'll be able to switch between them without dropping the previous screen. It's not so much a matter of drawing Screen B over Screen A as it is replacing Screen A with Screen B. As for data retention, use of the runtime store (session) or a persistent store (until cleared) will get you all the retention you need, and they aren't difficult to implement. This becomes a little more complex when you include an alternate entry point, but if your application is purely GUI then that's not necessary.

2. I don't actually have much experience with GUI, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. When it gets to that point, I'm sure there are threads posted about it somewhere in the Java Development section. If not, feel free to start a new one.

Hope that helps,

~Dom

chown -R us ./base
~J!NX
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Thanks Dom. Way over my head.  :smileyvery-happy:

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Developer

Any time :smileytongue:

On a side note, I've looked into GUI's a little more and I'm not entirely sure my intial response was completely correct. I've seen a few applications that can close screens without closing the application, meaning that another screen from the same application comes up to replace it. Try calling pushScreen whenever you need to include a separate window. This should technically create a new screen to supplant the previous screen. The behaviour of hte previous screen is not something I can verify, however.

chown -R us ./base
~J!NX