Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Welcome & Introductions

esj
New Contributor
esj
My Device: Not Specified

Stolen PIN / Cloned Phone

I have tried to contact Blackberry directly, but can't get a live person.  I have been contacted by someon in Indonesia telling me that they are receiving my emails (they told me the contents of two of them so I now they did get them) and now my credit card is being used in India.  Does anyone know who to contact about a security breach of my email account?  Does anyone know who can help me with this?  Thanks.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Stolen PIN / Cloned Phone

[ Edited ]

1. I would contact your local police fraud/identity theft unit. I would start immediately by pointing them to this person in Indonesia.

2. Re: your email account, contact your email provider.

3. Call your credit card issuer to cancel the cards.

I know for a fact that two identical PINs cannot be on the RIM network simultaneously. If your device is registered, another device with the same PIN cannot be registered.

Remember, it's your job to protect your private data (credit card information, etc.), but it is a police agency's job to investigate and prosecute. I would not take this part into your own hands.

Were your CC numbers listed in an email? How would they have gained your CC numbers? 

Message Edited by JSanders on 06-30-2009 04:56 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

I would also go to your BIS site if you remember your login and password and set the filter to not forward emalis to your

device.

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Welc:smileyhappy:me to the c:smileyhappy:mmunity supp:smileyhappy:rt f:smileyhappy:rums   Hate that you are going through such an ordeal.

Jsanders and Bifocals have given you great advice.

Best of luck to you

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Hi esj,

Welcome aboard the BlackBerry Support Community.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
IrwinII
My Device: Bold 9930 7.1.0.163 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums esj! :smileyhappy:

Excellent advice from prior posters.  Let us know how it goes. 

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Please use plain text.
esj
New Contributor
esj

Thanks for your response, and the responses of the others in this thread.  I've included the text from the original email.  I have not alerted the police at this point, but I have changed my passwords, credit card numbers, etc.  I'm fairly certain that this won't continue to happen for this phone, but how could it have happened in the first place?  It makes me concerned about using a BB.  I have never put credit card numbers, SS#'s or any other important information (that I know of) in an email, so i don't know how they got this info other than fraud using what info they have obtained and then going from there. 

The PIN number this person included in her email was not my PIN, so I don't know how my emails were being accessed.  I would think that BB would want to investigate this themselves, but I don't know how to get their attention.  Thanks for your help, and any further advice would be appreciated.

Email Text:

"hi, this is XXXXXX XXXXX. i'm from indonesia.

apparently we both have the same pin for our blackberries, (PIN # Deleted) and i know this because i've been getting your emails. some emails concerning your account on ebay and some about a yard party you're invited to. i've deleted my emails on my hand held devices so you wouldn't be receiving them. but i think the only solution is for one of us to change the pin. let me know what you think.

regards, XXXXXX.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How odd.. Where is the part about your credit card being used in India. I don't see where that is mentioned..

Anyway, my advice and others who posted their advice, doesn't change any. 

And, neither of you can change your device PIN. The PIN is hard coded to your device. And, besides, as you stated, the person who contacted you has a different PIN?

I would suggest you call your carrier and ask to be kicked up to the RIM Support level. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
esj
New Contributor
esj

My CC Company contacted us when they saw this was happening.  Pretty quick on their part.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
chulap

Sorry JSanders, you are wrong. BB pin can be changed. We have pin like 12345678 or 88888888. Unfortunately BB Pin can be cloned and duplicated.
Please use plain text.