This article applies to the following:
- BlackBerry® Java® Development Environment (BlackBerryJDE)
When attempting to compile an application using BlackBerry JDE 3.6 or later, you receive the following error in the debugger window:
I/O Error: CreateProcess:
Error while building project
The Java® software development kit (Java SDK/JDK) is not installed on the computer, or an incorrect version of the Java SDK is installed on the computer.
Verify that a supported version of the Java SDK is installed by completing one of the following tasks:
- Review the programs listed in Add or Remove Programs to determine the installed version of the Java SDK
- Search Windows® Explorer for the Java installation directory (for example,
If an incorrect version of the Java SDK is installed, remove it and then install the supported Java SDK version for the BlackBerry JDE version installed on the computer. For information on supported versions of Java for different BlackBerry JDE versions, see this article. For installation instructions, see the Java web site.
When the installation is complete, verify that the Java directory has been created and the environment variable has been set correctly. See Resolution 2 for instructions on how to check the environment variable.
The environment variable for the Java SDK is not set correctly.
Check the environment variable by completing the following steps:
- On the desktop, right-click My Computer and then select Properties.
- On the Advanced tab, click the Environment Variables button and then edit the PATH system variable.
- Verify that the
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk<version>\bindirectory appears first in the PATH system variable as in the following example:
\Ora81\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32; %SystemRoot%
- If multiple versions of Java are installed, move the Java SDK path to the beginning of the list, as in the preceding example.
- If the
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk<version>\bindirectory does not exist, it is possible that the Java SDK version is not installed on the computer. See Resolution 1 for instructions on installing the correct version.
Note: Different versions of the BlackBerry JDE require different versions of the Java SDK; to configure multiple versions of the BlackBerry JDE installed on the same computer to use different versions of the Java SDK, see this article.