Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

0.9.3 simulator stuck/frozen on start screen

I am aware that this problem has come up in the past, but in my searches for 'simulator stuck', I found that no post is about the latest version of the simulator (0.9.3).  I have run into this problem and tried just about everything at this point from creating a new simulator in VMware to waiting it out (which I am currently doing).  Has there been any light shed on this problem since the newest release?

This is my first post since it is the first thing that has truly held me back and with only a little time left, it is imperative that I do everything in my power to fix it, so i apologize if there havebeen no developements and I am just wasting a post.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: 0.9.3 simulator stuck/frozen on start screen

Oddly enough, i never had any problems until sunday night when i experience the same thing.

The fix that worked for me was to set it up as usual (with 1024 Ram, 8 gigs memory, other operating system and 3D graphics accelerated) but to also set the sim to have 2 cores on a fresh install.

Then, once it was booting I had to do a couple restarts the first time but it seems to be working great since then.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Can you tell us more about the problem you're having? When does the simulator get stuck? Is it when you're testing your app? In version 0.9.2 the simulator was freezing so much you couldn't use it. Since 0.9.3 it hasn't freeze up once for me.

Developer

I am currently installing the VM with 2 cores to give it a shot, but in the meantime I will expound.  Quite simply it is getting stuck while loading: while the screen says BlackBerry Playbook and has the white line underneath that pulses.  The link to a post concerning the previous VM's problem with this is as follows:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/PlayBook-0-9-2-Simulator-stuck-at...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)

After installing with two cores try a restart if it still doesn't fully load. That's what worked for me.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

[ Edited ]

I've tried rebooting it a few times now (on my 4th), but it's not netting me any success.  It still just seems as stuck as ever.  I'll keep at it, but it seems as though I'm not having any luck.  I have tried new VMs, restarting the VMware software itself and even my own computer, but to no avail.

I guess I'll just keep coding and hope for either a solution or a miracle.

Edit: spelling

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

I had frozen simulator few times when I had only 2GB Ram available, and several other applications including FB opened *before* running VMWare. Although it is somehow weird, I could reproduce this problem few times (but not always).

So, I was used to close everything and then run VMWare. After the simulator was running I start opening the other applications.

Another important thing is always configure VMWare with 1024MB, not a byte less!

I hope it helps.

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer

[ Edited ]

This seemed like a promising possibility due to the fact that I am a multi-tasker and always have a ton of applications open on my computer.  However, this didn't solve anything.  I'm going to try resetting my computer and opening the VM first thing, but until then, the only other information i can give is that the virtual machines I am using are configured exactly to the specs given my Blackberry (accelerated graphics and 1024 MB Ram, etc), until just today I've had no problems, even installing a fully new VM isn't solving the problem, and when it is stuck, the cursor is present and flickers, but will respond with a decent amount of lag if I move my mouse while in the VM.

That's all I got...

Edit: the restart didn't make it work any better

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

What OS are you running it?

(*) Kudo-me if you really think I helped you!
My plug: I'm doing a Mobile Experiment, reported on my Blog: Check it out!.
---------------------------
Paulo Garcia
http://www.mobilecreators.com - Twitter: http://twitter.com/mobilecreators
Developer

I am running Windows 7 32 bit.  Switching to another OS isn't really an option, though (I saw that some people switching to linux worked as a fix).