Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: 0.9.4 simulator stays in black screen forever during start up

RobClarke wrote:

I see that you mention dual-core? This wasn't previously required as I have been running the 0.9.3 simulator on here without any problem.

Have the minimum hardware requirements for the simulator changed?

No, the minimum requirements have not changed. Some of us have just found that running with 2 cores works better than one.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Reset and a lot of patience help.

I think it should be added to the start up manual - to be prepared to wait for a long time before the simulator can function. And that patience is a virtue 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Maybe some of you who had to wait a long time could post estimates of how long that was, as accurately as possible.

I didn't pay attention to mine, but it took no more than probably 5 minutes.  If a few of you can show it may take much longer, that might help in getting this added to docs, or at least will give us somewhere to point when others inevitably ask the same questions without bothering to search recent posts.  (Which is really selfish, but that's what many do.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor

I finally got my 0.9.4 simulator after many problems. After restarting the VM without success, I started from scratch with a new download of the simulator and while it took a while to load it went into the OS after the loading screen instead of loading a blank black screen.

I don't think I did anything different this last time around, but I'm thankful that it's working now.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

For some very odd reason, this has been done by many to get it to work.  Why?  Who knows.

Contributor
My Device: 9630

After 2 days trying on my netbook, I finally have a playbook working... on my regular laptop (much more powerful - i5 core processor). Why was I using a netbook? That's what I use during my commute to work (train).On my regular laptop, it worked like a charm on the first time with lots of apps already loaded (4Gb RAM, Win7 home premium). The key was to have 2 cores configured.

But what about the netbook?

I've tried firing up the playbook on Ubuntu 10 - no luck, multiple resets - and on Win7 starter. I left my netbook on during the night (6:15am now) with the splash screen on Win 7 starter (2 cores configured this time) and just restarted it... in a couple of minutes I got it working. It's amazing to think that with 2 cores (have tried with 1 core multiple times in my netbook before) the simulator works.

Question: what are the navigation keys while using the simulator? I opened a browser window in the simulater, accessed Google, but I couldn't get back to the home screen. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Developer

Many threads on this.  To minimize an app, swipe from the bottom.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 3

Still can't get the 0.9.4 to boot on my single core desktop machine (Celeron 2.8Ghz with 2Gb RAM and plenty of GBs of disk space available, running Windows XP-SP3).

It will boot on my laptop (a dual core machine, even though the VM is set to use one core). If I copy that image from the laptop to my desktop it still won't boot.

Giving up now.

Developer

As it been mentioned before, do you have 3D acceleration enabled and 1GB RAM?

New Developer

I could not get the simulator to get past the black loading screen...I let it sit for 20+ minutes several times and it wouldn't boot completely.  I tried re-downloading the simulator, recreating the vmware virtual machine, disabling cd-rom/audio/etc, nothing worked --- UNTIL I set it to two cores for the processor.  Never had to do that with previous versions of the simulator.  It finally works!