Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

0.9.4 simulator stays in black screen forever during start up

0.9.3 simulator worked on my computer

today I downloaded 0.9.4 and followed the start up guide

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/25068/

to the point where the simulator starts and I clicked "I finished installing" button. But the simulator displays a black screen with "BlackBerry PlayBook" words in the middle and has been staying there for ever.

No gear icon on top right and hence I cannot continue...

What have i missed?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: 0.9.4 simulator stays in black screen forever during start up

You're not the only one to have this.  Search for recent 0.9.4 threads to learn more.

In short, ensure you've used exactly the correct VMware settings (1GB RAM, 8GB disk, 3d accel on, dual core) and make sure your host machine is not memory-constrained.  Also give it a good 5 minutes before giving up.  If it doesn't work, try resetting a few times. 

Also it's always a good idea to include information about your setup.  Platform, OS, bitness (32/64), etc.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

did you enable 3D accelleration? I forgot that the first time and that gave me the same thing you're describing.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

You also make sure your connection is NAT. I use a bridged connection and it refused to boot initially unless it was on NAT. Could have just been my sim though

EDIT: just saw no one mentioned to try using 2 cores if available.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer

thanks guys.

I did click 3d accelerate. Many 5 minutes have passed, nothing changed...

I am on windows XP professional, version 5.1 with SP3. The vmware player is the same that hosted 0.9.3 that worked.

How do I reset the simulator? delete it and create a new one (tried that too)?

thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

BlueBerry1988 wrote:

How do I reset the simulator? delete it and create a new one (tried that too)?

No, in VMware, use the reset option for the virtual machine.  There are Power Down, Reset, and Suspend.

Also, although Elena suggested 3 minutes before giving up, I think some people do have to wait longer.  If a few resets don't work, try going for coffee and let it run an hour if you can.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Or, in my case, get a private one hour lesson on sharedObject from peter9477, then see if it's running lol
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: 3

I have the same issue on my windows PC. That is a Celeron 2.8ghz with 2Gb Ram and plenty of GBs of disk space available, running Windows XP sp3.

I see that you mention dual-core? This wasn't previously required as I have been running the 0.9.3 simulator on here without any problem.

Have the minimum hardware requirements for the simulator changed?

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I think every new version of the simulator takes longer to boot the first time. I waited 2 hours then I reset the simulator. After that it booted in about 3 minutes.

Developer

I did a reset and after a long 20 minutes (walked around the office building 20 times), the playbook did show up finally.