Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: 10.2 Exit

You have a trace statement as the first executable line in your app's main class constructor (to verify that execution is getting handed off to your app)?

Can you verify directly in your bar manifest that the entry point type is indeed qnx air debug and not just qnx air?

This is a shot in the dark but if you pull up the core file in a hex editor and/or dump strings with e.g. the "strings" *nix utility, is there anything in there that looks vaguely like a stack trace?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Well now I am getting compile errors with the re-updated to 3.2.1/AIR 3.5. So I don't have a BAR file to check anymore. Need to resolve these other errors now.
Developer

Hope you have a good audit trail to get back to original state.  

Frustrating to not be able to reproduce problems reported in the wild.

A big reason why I believe in having a version controlled commandline build flow.

I'm posting in quasi-haiku now.

Need more coffee.

Developer

I can probably get back to 3.1 of the SDK, but not certain if I should. It might be why the app is exiting. The error I am getting is:

Inconsistant linkage in C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\blackberry-tablet-sdk-3.2.1\frameworks\libs\air\airglobal.swc(flash.utils:ByteArray, flash.utils:CompressionAlgorithm, flash.utils:IDataInput2, flash.utils:IDataOutput2) - 'flash.utils:ByteArray' is marked as extern, but 'flash.utils:IDataInput2' is not.
Developer

Got the development environment back up to:
Flash Builder 4.6
AIR 3.5
BB SDK 3.2.1

Still does the same thing.

Yes, trace is showing progress.

I guess I can keep on adding trace to things to see where it might stop progressing. Without a stack crawl, this can take a while.

There is a core file being produced. Any one know how to get that out of a telnet session and inspect it?
Developer

You can copy it out of the simulator with Momentics.  I'm not at my computer at the moment or I'd add more, but a quick forum search should get you there.

Developer

I have to do a little more testing, but it looks like it is crashing because of something with the GPS status event. Correct device ANE is in place (though it happened with versions of the SDK prior to 3.2.
Developer

Just curious, were you able to glean that from your core file, or did you interpolate it from new trace statements you inserted into your code?  

In the googling that I did earlier on this thread, I wasn't able to find any info on how to actually interpret the adl.core file, whether/how it could be pulled into a debug session, etc.  

Developer

Since the dump occurred after the app loaded, I knew it had to be something that was done async from the initial code. Inputting trace here and there seem to gravitate to the GPS signal not being received. Commenting out the event listeners to the GPS geolocator stopped it from crashing. Ignore the status event (that I was not using anyway) seem to be the issue. It was never an issue in prior versions or on the PlayBook, so I have to chalk it up with something with the device ANE that is different in 10.2 final build. It worked fine on earlier 10.2 builds.

Still not 100% certain this is the direct cause to the core dump, but the change made the app stop crashing wihout a stack trace. It also makes a little sense that the ANE is crashing and that is why I am not getting a AS3 stack trace.
Developer

I "believe" the bug is in the ANE when trying to send the event back to the parent AS3 code when the "status" is trying to be reported. It never reaches the AS3 code and works fine when there are no registered listeners for this event.