Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

2.0 Beta Dependencies?

[ Edited ]

Are there any runtime dependencies for the 2.0 beta?

Does it only work with 2.0 OS?  If not, can we (should we) release apps for BBX 1.8x? 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: 2.0 Beta Dependencies?

I'm running code built with the 2.0 beta on 1.0.8 with no issues.

I changed my app.xml to have this, though it's not directly related to the beta:

<application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/3.1">

Obviously if you use features that are coupled to the OS 2.0 beta it won't work, but the docs suggest only the spell-checking stuff is in that boat (and it doesn't seem to work on 2.0 yet anyway).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Have you found any incompatibility issues when converting your code and classes over? 

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

John, I've done nothing to convert anything. I haven't started using any of the new features of this beta, however, so I don't know what may "fall off" when I try.

I didn't mean I know that everything in it will work on 1.0.8. I just meant to confirm that old code seems to work fine without needing any changes. I'm pretty sure that's why the Fuse stuff is a whole new namespace, and not just changes to the old APIs... that would have been a compatibility nightmare.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Not Specified

The only features that will not work in 1.0.8 and lower are the spell check features as well as anything new you may find in qnx-air.swc.

These should start to work in the next Tablet OS 2.0 Beta refresh.

Spell Check features should just silently not work and will not throw any crazy runtime errors if run on lower versions.

Developer

Kind of funny when you take the spell check out of the first sentens "The only features that will not work in 1.0.8 and lower ...[is]... anything new you may find in qnx-air.swc."

So all new things in the the SDK will not work in 1.0.8 and lower?
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Not Specified

jtegen wrote:
Kind of funny when you take the spell check out of the first sentens "The only features that will not work in 1.0.8 and lower ...[is]... anything new you may find in qnx-air.swc."

So all new things in the the SDK will not work in 1.0.8 and lower?

There are lots of new things in the SDK that are not in qnx-air.swc that work in 1.0.8 and lower.

The qnx-air.swc specifically relates to API's that are integrated into the AIR runtime on the device. That is why it is marked as "external" in your project. Think of it as our version of airglobals.swc. Because some of these API's are only available in a newer version of the runtime, they will not work in lower version.