Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: No Carrier.
Accepted Solution

3.5mm jack (output only?)

I'm wondering whether the 3.5mm jack (headphones) is strictly an output jack, or whether it can be used as an input, as is done on the iPhone etc.  I'm beginning work on another app and it could be enhanced if this can be used as an input as well.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: 3.5mm jack (output only?)

hey,

i tried using my BlackBerry's headphone/mic wire and it could only do sound from the headphone and would only listen from the device microphone -- so im guessing its not possible to do a two way thing.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer

I wonder if the hardware is capable, but currently not an option...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Very unlikely, I think. There's never been a hint that this would be possible, there's nothing in the API to suggest it, nothing noted in the teardowns, and so on.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

I noticed a different behavior on my PlayBook while playing around with the Video Chat app.

When my headphones were plugged in I tested blowing into the device microphone and into the headphone's. No noise on the PlayBook's microphone, but on the cabled one.

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
New Developer

I guess once I have my device, I can do some tests with an app to see if there is more than one mic listed, or to isolate where the sound data is coming from.  Is there anywhere we can e-mail to get specific details on hardware capabilities that may or may not be available later?  I guess my other option is to try and bring a signal in through usb.

Developer

@BiggerCC, you mean you heard the hiss when you blew into the headphone's microphone, but not when you blew into the tablet's own stereo mic?

@everythingsgonegreen, RIM has in the past been effectively completely silent about all future hardware capabilities, and although inquiring might get you an answer that says "there is no hardware support" (which would be useful), it's extremely unlikely to get you anything if it's just something they may do later. They always say "we're not considering it at this time" or "we're considering it for the future", which mean little.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

peter9477 wrote:
@BiggerCC, you mean you heard the hiss when you blew into the headphone's microphone, but not when you blew into the tablet's own stereo mic?

Exactly.

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
Developer

that makes it sound as though there's a single input channel (as the API docs show), but it comes from the audio jack when you have something plugged into it (only something with microphone support?) and from the integral stereo mic when you don't.

I don't have a headset with a microphone, but if anyone does and can try a test app, it would be interesting to see what you learned if you made a test app listening to the CONNECTED_INPUT_CHANGED event and checked whether the availableInputs array changed when you plugged and unplugged the headset, as the availableOutputs list should.  The API lists HEADPHONES and SPEAKERS as the possible outputs, but the only input listed is INPUT.  Maybe the device itself will show something different.

Developer
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Rogers

I can confirm that the PlayBook does indeed accept input from a microphone in the jack. The headphone / microphone set from my Bold 9780 record sound to my app (which looks for the first item in the 'microphones' array).