Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: 3 days left PB where are you?

ShimmyShine wrote:

I know one of the guys who went to the NY party and got a PB for free there.. 

Am I the only one who finds it borderline offensive that people who have done nothing but show up at a fancy party have already been given free PlayBooks while us developers who worked hard helping RIM get apps are still waiting?

These people did absolutely nothing while we all put in tons of hours.

It really does give me a rather sour taste in my mouth. But maybe that's just me...

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Regular Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: T-Mobile

RIM obviously doesn't actually care about getting any apps or supporting their developers. If they had, they'd have had a 1.0 SDK out by now, mailed out the playbooks, or at least made ANY kind of indication as to when either of those two things would be available.

They're being slaughtered in reviews because of the apps, specifically the lack of email and the fact that apps don't use multi-touch etc; well, if they'd given us actual devices we could have built multi-touch in, and I probably could have coded up a POP3 application in two days if I had a complete SDK.

Yes, I am more than a little upset that RIM has decided to send the hardware first to the reviewers, and then to whatever joe schmo shows up at the party, rather than to people who would actually use them to make the things more valuable to the potential customers.

But then I guess it makes sense considering how RIM is really not doing so hot any more.

And yes, I hope someone high up reads this.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

Try a Executive email carpet bomb Smiley Very Happy

I did it once with Delta airlines after they had royally screwed me over and less than 12 hours later some miracle happened and everything was made right Smiley Wink

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Even I can't believe how much you guys are complaining about this.

Regular Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

GoldenJoe, everyone complains about you so I don't know if there's much point to this, but --

The developers' end of the bargain was to jump through RIM's hoops and create applications for the Playbook to drum up hype and sales. RIM's end of the bargain was to provide the developers with hardware to keep developing applications. It's frustrating to be this late in the game and still not have any way of building applications that use half the playbook's actual functionality -- I feel like I have done all the stuff they asked and helped them inflate their marketing numbers without them holding up their side of the deal. Or even telling us when the things might arrive, which would be fine as long as there was a specific date!

And don't use the "you're getting it for free" excuse. RIM is paying their marginal cost to get each developer set up and building applications for the playbook, a developer who might otherwise have not bothered because the store is so tiny and specific to only one platform with no actual hardware in the wild yet (I know I wouldn't have bothered without this promotion, would have just kept going with android apps). One app may not seem to make much of a difference, but I'll bet that having 3000 apps instead of 2000 is enough to sell an extra 1000 playbooks and make RIM back whatever money they spent on the promotion. I've put my 500 dollars' worth of work into my apps, and contributed to the number they can use to convince more people to purchase the tablet, so it's not as though they're just mailing out hardware without getting anything in return. Like they did at that party.

It's just disrespectful of RIM to treat their developers this way when they should realize that without the developers, NO ONE is going to buy the playbook. It's already getting slagged in reviews because it's missing applications -- do they really think that dawdling on supporting the only people who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the situation is going to make it any better??

Developer
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm not complaining by any means about not receiving a free PlayBook!  I'm just not excited about public PlayBooks coming out and my apps not working remotely how they should be courtesy of RIM not providing us with up to date SDK's or real devices to test on.  I have no clue how my app got through the test center if it can't be installed on a device right now.

Developer
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Rogers

Couldn't have said it better myself

macwarrior wrote:

GoldenJoe, everyone complains about you so I don't know if there's much point to this, but --

The developers' end of the bargain was to jump through RIM's hoops and create applications for the Playbook to drum up hype and sales. RIM's end of the bargain was to provide the developers with hardware to keep developing applications. It's frustrating to be this late in the game and still not have any way of building applications that use half the playbook's actual functionality -- I feel like I have done all the stuff they asked and helped them inflate their marketing numbers without them holding up their side of the deal. Or even telling us when the things might arrive, which would be fine as long as there was a specific date!

And don't use the "you're getting it for free" excuse. RIM is paying their marginal cost to get each developer set up and building applications for the playbook, a developer who might otherwise have not bothered because the store is so tiny and specific to only one platform with no actual hardware in the wild yet (I know I wouldn't have bothered without this promotion, would have just kept going with android apps). One app may not seem to make much of a difference, but I'll bet that having 3000 apps instead of 2000 is enough to sell an extra 1000 playbooks and make RIM back whatever money they spent on the promotion. I've put my 500 dollars' worth of work into my apps, and contributed to the number they can use to convince more people to purchase the tablet, so it's not as though they're just mailing out hardware without getting anything in return. Like they did at that party.

It's just disrespectful of RIM to treat their developers this way when they should realize that without the developers, NO ONE is going to buy the playbook. It's already getting slagged in reviews because it's missing applications -- do they really think that dawdling on supporting the only people who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the situation is going to make it any better??

--
Bitbox
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: AT&T

I agree with macwarrior, I think shipping the devices out earlier would have given developers a big opportunity to utilize more of the potential of the playbook. And while I think that it was a good marketing strategy to hype the device by giving some out at the party, I also definitely agree that it came off as a slap in the face to the many developers that worked so hard to get their apps out without a proper way to test them (without the actual device).
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

djames_ wrote:
I agree with macwarrior, I think shipping the devices out earlier would have given developers a big opportunity to utilize more of the potential of the playbook. And while I think that it was a good marketing strategy to hype the device by giving some out at the party, I also definitely agree that it came off as a slap in the face to the many developers that worked so hard to get their apps out without a proper way to test them (without the actual device).

but how exactly would you have done so?  the SDK 1.0 hasn't been released yet.  even if it was released this week and/or even if you were able to do on-device optimization / debugging with the current SDK, it still takes time to write, test, submit and approve applications for distribution on App World, which certainly would not have been possible before the official release date.

i'm sorry to say, but this forum has turned from a ligitimate developer forum to a "disappointed on christmas morning" forum.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

@TheDarkIn1978, what am I missing?  We have 0.9.4.  Our apps are written with 0.9.4 and running on the hardware, whatever versions it has.  We don't need SDK 1.0 in order to adequately test our apps on real hardware.

Edit: my above text was written before he added this text to his post: "and/or even if you were able to do on-device optimization / debugging with the current SDK".  My comment may seem non-sensical to people reading this later, until you take that into account.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!