Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

AIR ApplicationUpdater Support

Will the air.update.* classes be supported on the Playbook?  Basically it's the standard way that AIR apps check for updates to themselves.  If not what is the process for keeping apps current on the playbook?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: AIR ApplicationUpdater Support

This weeks Webinar covers (in part) App World.  If they dont cover application updates, this would be an excellent question to ask them during the Webinar.

Problem is that the updater uses an .air file to install and the PB requires a .bar file.  There is probably a large overlap.  If the developer is responsible for updates (hosting, package and update.xml configuration), then we just need to know how to package it for the web for our apps to know where to reach out and update.

I would caution in using auto updates each time the application starts (vs. a preference or menu to check for updates).  There would be a delay each time the application starts trying to negotiate the WAN that might not exist.  Probably best to listen for network availability and changes to enable the "Check for updates" button.  $0.02.

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Re: AIR ApplicationUpdater Support

I asked the same question at last webcast and they said that updates will be manged trough App World.

You just need to upload the updated application. 

Also, ApplicationUpdater is not supported on AIR mobile device profile.