Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Ad Banners?

Is it possible to have BlackBerrys Ad Banners appear in an AIR for PlayBook app?

Talking about these: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Advertising-Service/Advertising-Service-FAQs/ta-p/...

If not, is there a suitable alternative? I stuck in Admob for a test, but they don't appear in the simulator (I'm pretty sure they would on a real device). Are we allowed to do that though?

Or do we need to use RIMs - I'm not sure since Apple have not restricted iOS to iAds only.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Ad Banners?

The Advertising Service is not yet supported for the PlayBook.  No doubt it's "coming soon".

I have no idea if you could use other services... they would obviously have to support either HTML or AIR apps for now, with no Java or native SDK yet.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Well, this method works fine for iOS (Both iPhone & iPad) as well as Android which I've tested: http://pixelpaton.com/?p=3313

So, I would believe it works the same here as well.

Though, they're phone sized ads, not full tablet sized, sadly.

Requires AIR 2.5 StageWebView, which the PlayBook supports. Can't test it properly though for PlayBook, without hardware... it only works on my iPad and iPhone (not on my computer itself).

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

It looks like you could just change the size of the stageWebView though to support the screen size of the playbook though...
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

[ Edited ]

This should work with any ad provider, not just AdMob. I've been using the same (only using HTMLLoader which is the desktop equivalent of StageWebView) in one of my desktop AIR applications for years now. Probably not effective for larger applications, I run my own ad server because I need custom sized ads and want to curate the ads to my audience.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi guys!

I am trying to get ads from admob to show up in an app I created as well. I wasn't sure how to exactly go about doing this and how to make the calls. Can anyone point me in the right direction or post a sample code snipet of how it is done.

Any help is appreciated.....thanks!

Contributor

Hi guys!

I am trying to get ads from admob to show up in an app I created as well. I wasn't sure how to exactly go about doing this and how to make the calls. Can anyone point me in the right direction or post a sample code snipet of how it is done.

Any help is appreciated.....thanks!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The Ad SKD has not been released to us from RIM yet. Are you trying to use something else?
Contributor

I was trying to use Admod....but I'm not sure if this will even work or how to go about doing this. And is it even allowed to use other services or should I hold off and wait until RIM releases their Ad SDK?

Developer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

AdMob does not officially support the PlayBook.

Although there is reason to think that it would work from a technical standpoint, it is unlikely that you will be getting any ads that really apply to the BlackBerry tablet expereince.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com