Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

eno
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Adobe AIR / ActionScript Tutorial

OK, so Flex is an AS framework, so the next question is: am I better off using Flex or should I stick to straight AS? i.e. what are the pros and cons of each?

Highlighted
eno
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Adobe AIR / ActionScript Tutorial

Thanks for that, but what are the pros and cons of each approach? I have been in web development for about 14 years, so I know a lot about HTML, JS, CSS and server-side languages like PHP. I see I can write apps using HTML and/or JS so that looks like the path of least resistance, but are there limitations to that approach I need to be aware of? Am I better off long term learning AS and/or Flex?

FYI: I have also been heavily involved in Android development for the past year. ActionScript is very similar to Java so it looks like I could pick it up quite easily. Also the AS + MXML combination is very similar to Android where XML is heavily used for layouts and other resources and Java is used for behavior (though just like MXML, there's overlap between the two).