Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

Adobe AIR version supported in Z30

Which latest Adobe AIR SDK(3.5?) is supported by Z30 when using Blackberry 10 SDK for Adobe AIR. I assume the current public 10.2 OS release is available for all BB10 devices Z10,Q10,Z30.

If I publish the app with latest BB 10 AIR SDK(3.2.1 with AIR version 3.5), is it safe to assume it would work on all devices, if users have updated to recent OS?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Adobe AIR version supported in Z30

AIR 3.5 is the current (and probably last) AIR version. It would be save to think that it would work on the platform. This assumes you do not hard code sizes.
Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

All Adobe Air based apps are dead on my Z30 running BB10.3.1. One I used regularly is Vault by XLabz. Here is their response.

"Vault and most of our older apps were build using a technology called Adobe AIR. BlackBerry ceased support for Adobe AIR with their latest OS update and any app that you have on your device which used Adobe AIR (a lot of them on BlackBerry World) would cease to function as a result of this. The only other platform that is supported is Android. 

We are now building a native Android version of Vault to counter this issue but that would mean a few things:

1) If you have all your data backed up to DropBox your data would be safe there and you can restore the data from DropBox as soon as we release the Android version on BlackBerry World. However, if you don't have backups then there is no way to get the data back or even back it up now since you can't use the old app anymore to do that.

2) When the update is released, you would have to manually delete the old app and install the new version. Upgrading alone will not work. However, deleting the old app will also delete all files that you had saved locally for the app - but if you have your data backed up already, there is nothing to worry about.

3) We don't have an ETA for the release and it could take close to 3-4 weeks for us to release the Android version in BlackBerry World.

4) If you don't want to wait and if you already have a Android device with Google Play access, the native Android version is already available there and you can buy it from there.

We understand that this is a big inconvenience for you as a user and our sincere apologies for this. However, as developers we don't drive platform decisions for BlackBerry so there was nothing we could do about this."

Developer
My Device: PassPort, Z30
My Carrier: Bell

New version of Vault is now available in BlackBerry World and it works great on my Z30 running BB10.3.1 . As noted by XLabz it probably is a port of their Android version. That is certainly fine with me.