Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook 16Gb
My Carrier: n/a
Accepted Solution

Adobe Air 2.7 support

I see there is a new release of Adobe Air 2.7 as seen in this link

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2011/06/adobe-air-2-7-now-available-ios-apps-4x-faster.html

From the first video, there is mention of the tablet sdk supporting 2.7. can anyone confirm this? How will the tablet sdks work in conjunction or are we to expect a new tablet sdk version based on Air 2.7?

If it's the latter, when can we expect the next sdk?

It would be helpful to be able to target one Air sdk for all platforms.

Greg

Developer
My Device: Playbook Tablet
My Carrier: -

Re: Adobe Air 2.7 support

It still doesn't support it, but it will from Playbook OS 1.0.6, which is in beta version right now. Which will also mean we get a new SDK.

Marcos Placona
www.placona.co.uk
My Playbook Apps:
Bonjour | Time Traveller | Magic Ball
Developer

Also re-read the blog post. There was an * next to the Tablet OS which read....

*BlackBerry Tablet OS is scheduled to receive an OTA (over the air) update of AIR 2.7 by the end of June.

Which clears things up a little. Looking forward to it - just from consistency and cross platformedness (not a real word!!)

Greg

New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

This is a good piece of news. Hope to see "4x" performance in cpu mode as stated ^^.

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

that is for iOS devices, I wouldn't expect to see much of an improvement on AIR content running on the playbook which is pretty **bleep** good anyway...

/**********************************************************************/

Playbook apps:
LPlayer

Developer

Yeah, thats true but it'll be nice to be able to use the same Air SDK across platforms (eases build scripts and functionality implementation) and will also (extremely hopefully) turn the iPad into a more viable platform for deployment without sacrificing features (and forcing extreme optimisation) that we can easily achieve on the PB.

Greg

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

For sure for iOS, but faster gfx rendering speed on Playbook would be good, as filling/animating a 1024*600 res still is a pain. I can see stated in Air 2.7 feats

"2D hardware acceleration (TV devices)

Leverage 2D graphics acceleration using the underlying hardware acceleration systems that exist on TV platforms. Achieve high-performance interfaces by focusing on 2D and bitmaps that are accelerated directly by the TV hardware."

and I think I have read somewhere that playbook will use the TV profile... So let's see what they do for us Smiley Happy

[edit] don't really know if this is relevant, but found out that flash 10.3 gets the "Neon multimedia engine" activated on omap4 processors (cortexA9, Playbook's), so more "speed". More info http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/neon.php [/edit]