07-28-2011 01:37 AM
I'm using a media encoder to compress packets of raw audio data, so sending them to a server will cost less bandwidth. I made the encoder with the help of adobe alchemy and an open source c library
The encoder works fine on my PC, I see no lag in performance what so ever, but on the playbook the encoding does not work at all. I break up raw audio data into packets and code each packet sequentially, and in the playbook some of packets end up missing arbitrarily.
On top of this, it gets REALLY choppy, button animations last for far too long. The pc/web version of this app is so much smoother, I don't even notice when alchemy is at work....
I'm having similar issues on the Android, and I read somewhere that people have put alchemy swcs into android apps successfully.
I'm wondering if anyone has published an app with Alchemy swcs and what kind of results they got.
By the way, I've tried adjusting mcirophone settings, I'm pretty sure this is either a device problem and/or alchemy problem
07-28-2011 07:17 PM
08-10-2011 04:50 PM
How can alchemy not be supported? As long as playbook supports current versions of flash player, alchemy should be supported along side it because all it is is just optimized bytecode!
I've been fiddling around with my code for a few weeks now, and I've noticed that when I test the program in air, the micophone returns non-zero sample data events, where as in the playbook simulator it's always zero! I'm literally using the same code, and the simulator gives me garbage...
08-11-2011 11:48 AM - edited 08-11-2011 11:49 AM
You mentioned that the simulator gave you garbage... That was to be expected when using APIs the simulator can't deliver (e.g. microphones, cameras, etc.)
I recommend you test your code on an actual PlayBook device. Then we will see if Alchemy is working or not.
P.S.: The performance that is displayed by the simulator does NOT reflect the actual performance of the device, unfortunatelly...
08-11-2011 12:25 PM