Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Alternative Free IDEs for Playbook Development?

tags07 wrote:

... Adobe provides Free standard version of Flash Builder to 

• Students, faculty and staff of eligible educational institutions
  • Software developers who are affected by the current economic condition and are currently unemployed
  • Event attendees who receive a special promotional code at their event

•  

While that's true, note that the license terms explicitly preclude anyone but the educational group (the first category above) using the free version for commercial use.  Possibly you could use it for making free apps.

"To receive the product under this program, you must attest to the fact that you are currently unemployed and acknowledge that the software will be used only for your personal use not for any production or commercial purposes."

There may also be additional restrictions even on students... the T&C refer you to the FAQ.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
    Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
    Developer
    My Device: PlayBook (sim)
    My Carrier: Rogers

Considering the price of almost every Adobe product it's really nice to see that they do that.

I've been currently running with the free version of Burrito and weighing the Pro's and Con's of purchasing it once my time is up. Even the standard version is a tough investment when you have no idea how you're app will sell, or if it even will. It's good to hear feedback though from some experienced developers, and it sounds like it's an investment that will really give a boost to your development (and take away some kinks you that one might experience).

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
    - Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
    - Hockey DrillBook -
    Developer
    My Device: BlackBerry Torch
    My Carrier: AT&T

Don't forget the new Web Works SDK, which can use Eclipse, and the eventual Java SDKs that will also be available. Adobe's products aren't the only way to get to the Playbook.

I know the OP didn't ask for anything other than Flash, but that could be from lack of awareness. Smiley Wink

Bill

Bill
    -------------------------------------------
    Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
    And my other really really old book
    My Apps: FlashKids
    Developer
    My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
    My Carrier: Verizon

In some thread/webinar or something gave the indication that the Java SDK is not a sure thing.  I would expect the C/C++ SDK come out before the Java SDK since that is the native environment and it will allow game developers to get to the OpenGL stack.

Developer
    My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Keep in mind that users don't care about you or anything having to do with your development workflow, and they don't care how much time or money you spent to create an app ... nor do they have a reason to - they are likely doing well just to wade through all the apps to find something that looks interesting.

Users only care about what your app does for them for the money.  So yes an IDE might help you work faster and have less bugs, but that's no guarantee of making even a penny.  For that you need a lot more - good design, good marketing, a feel for what users will pay for ... etc.

If users love your app but only if it's free (e.g. your free lite version is popular but nobody is willing to buy the premium version), then the benefits of however much time (and money) you spent on it accrue mostly to RIM.  Not saying it's right or wrong; just something to think about.

Developer
    My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
    My Carrier: Verizon

@  : Well said.

+ $0.02:  The "price of the product" != "cost to produce".  You hope that N * price > cost to get a positive ROI.  You just have to figure out what N (number of units sold) might be to help deterimine potential price.  Cost will be labor, material and cost of sales (e.g. 30% to RIM) to produce the product.  On top of all that, you have to figure out what price sensitivities a consumer might have and how pricing fits along side of any competition.  Always a fun exercise.

Developer

That's a really good point. I think what I was trying to say earlier that for a new developer like myself, if having an IDE means I can streamline my process to get better looking and more functional apps out to the consumers than it would be hard to argue the benefits. I spend enough time learning on the fly to worry about running from the command line or using a product/IDE that might require some "hacking" to get it to work properly.

Even if it will cost me $250, isn't it technically a cost of doing business and can be a tax write off? Smiley Wink

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
    - Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
    - Hockey DrillBook -
    Developer
    My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

[ Edited ]

You need to talk to a tax advisor to make sure you don't run afoul of the rules for what is a business and what is a hobby.  And, tax write offs are only meaningful if there is income to write them off against.

Developer

UberschallSamsara wrote:

You need to talk to a tax advisor to make sure you don't run afoul of the rules for what is a business and what is a hobby.  And, tax write offs are only meaningful if there is income to write them off against.

It was more of a joke than a real suggestion, but yes, one would have to turn a profit for them to actually write anything off lol.

- Hockey DrillBook -
    Developer
    My Device: BlackBerry Torch
    My Carrier: AT&T

UberschallSamsara wrote:

And, tax write offs are only meaningful if there is income to write them off against.

Ok, since we're being nit-picky, thats not true either - at least in USA. You can deduct expenses even if you have no income from that business, if you are operating as a pass-through entity (sole-prop, LLC or S-corp). These deductions 'pass through' the entity and go against your earned income (ie JOB income). You just have to pass the 'hobby' test, which isn't that hard. Submitting an app to AppWorld for purchase (even if it is never purchased) should be enough to pass that test since the test itself is mostly about intent.

(insert usual disclaimer about legal or tax advice. consult a professional, yada, yada, yada)

Aside from the tax implications, the point being made here is that the cost of the dev tools are expensive, which is usually only an issue when you don't have the funds to buy it. Smiley Happy

Bill

Bill
    -------------------------------------------
    Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
    And my other really really old book
    My Apps: FlashKids