Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook Simulator
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Am I allowed to sell my free BlackBerry Style?

Oh, no, you're good. I was just saying that other developers could be considered your friends perhaps, haha. I just figured they'd rather it go to someone who is going to develop apps with it rather than someone who is just gonna get a free phone out of it. But I don't have one, so it really doesn't matter to me. You may NOT have my Playbook though. Smiley Very Happy

Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I was going to say if we could exchange my Style for your Playbook...darn..you beat me to it ;-)

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

As a Canadian, I can't use Sprint either. However, I called them up and asked about unlocking the phone but they said I'd need RIM to do it.

Considering my experience in contacting RIM about anything, I'm fairly confident I'm in possession of a shiny paper weight which is the property of Research in Motion.

Any idea who/how to contact someone at RIM about this?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Can the device not be used in a development mode? Shame they wouldn't give away an unlocked gsm version....

EDIT: I know the style is CDMA only. I should have said "unlocked gsm phone"

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I'm sure it could, but in my case, since my wifes phone died prematurely, I'd like to give her mine and use this one for development... and as a phone. No sense having a phone if it can't make a call. I'm sure it would be a minor task for the right RIM employee to reflash, but how do I find that person?

Additionally... I can setup Wifi, but nothing works. So it might be quite limited just trying to use it for testing.

Where is that one white knight RIM employee that can help me?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Hmm, I figured it would have had a dev mode that unlocked all those features (i remember reading somewhere that with the pre 2 you have to punch in a keypad code and it unlocks the phones features so you don't need to have it activated and can use it to develop). In that case I don't see why RIM would make you keep it, when if it is to help you develop you'd be better off selling it and investing the money in either another blackberry you can actually use, or into development tools.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The BlackBerry Styles are 100% your property to do with as you wish.  Disregard the stickers on the back and feel free to sell, admire, give away, burry, trade, eat* or develop on the device as you see fit.

The stickers are put on all BlackBerry Smartphones obtained through "internal channels" at RIM, which is where these came from.

* RIM will not take responsibility for health complications caused by eating a BlackBerry Style.  Smiley Happy

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

haha well said Mark -- thanks for the clarification

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: 9930, PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hi Mark-

Do you know if developers will be receiving unlock codes for these devices?

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

streak81 wrote:

Hi Mark-

Do you know if developers will be receiving unlock codes for these devices?

Not from RIM.  RIM does not supply unlock codes.  They must be obtained from the carrier and it is up to them whether they give them out.  Some carriers are more willing to do this than others.  

For this case you could contact Sprint to see if they will supply one.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker