Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Any

Am I going to have enough time to submit my app to make it for the 31st deadline?

I know I shouldn't have waited the last moment for the submission, or at least should have started getting signing key and vendor registration first.  So I registred for the app vendor on the 26th, last Saturday, and then submitted the signing key order form on the 27th.  And both will take a few business days, at least that is what was said in the confirmation email.  And so far I haven't heard anything else from RIM.

Then what can I do now?  Just wait for them to get back to me?  How about they send me the signing key after the free offer deadline?  If only I had seen it somewhere saying, in order to meet the March 31st free playbook deadline, you have to get your signing key ready and register before xx/xx.

Can anyone please give me some advice?

thanks,

Angela

New Developer
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: ---

Re: Am I going to have enough time to submit my app to make it for the 31st deadline?

Hi bvictorio,

Unfortunately there is not much you can do about it. Just try to fully complete your app (development, testing, etc) and just review constantly your spam folder (in case you see nothing arrives in the next 24 hours).

I understand your concerns, however even though a free Playbook is a great asset for us developers,

having your app in a great market which is just coming out is even greater. So I would not be too worried, just focus on creating great apps and cross fingers you are going to success 

Thanks,

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

Re: Am I going to have enough time to submit my app to make it for the 31st deadline?

Submit your app unsigned right now then submit an update as soon as you get your keys
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

In my experience registration for the App World took a bit longer than getting a signing key, so I would bet this will be the bottleneck for you.

As Daniel said, there are many benefits to releasing your app early other than the free Playbook. Make sure you have everything ready to go, here are a few things you will need for your submission and you may want to prepare in case it's down to the wire:

- Sign your app (if you get the keys first)
- Decide your app category and sub-category, if applicable
- Have your 480x480px icon ready. Here is a good icon reference guide for various platforms:
http://savagelook.com/blog/android/mobile-developers-icon-image-checklist
- Prepare your app description and a few screenshots

Good luck.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer

Also, I should add that in the event you get your App World registration back before the signing key, you should add your application in App World and add all of the details I mentioned above. Then, when you get your key set up, you only have to upload a release and not fiddle around with any of that other stuff.

If you need a guide on adding your app in App World, I believe there is a good one you can follow in one of the stickies at the top of this forum.

New Contributor
My Device: developer

I am pretty sure that in order to qualify for the free tablet offer, your app does not need to be signed. It is only for it to be available for download, does this requirement apply.

This is the generic email I received after I uploaded my app...

Success! You’ve completed the first step toward a free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Your app submission has been successfully received by the team at BlackBerry App World, putting you on the road to qualify for the free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet offer. The BlackBerry App World team reviews each app based on the Vendor Guidelines and we’ll notify you as soon as we have determined if your app qualifies for the free tablet offer. When your app is approved, you will receive an additional email notice requesting a shipping address for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

If you receive notice that your app has not been accepted, don’t give up. You have the opportunity to modify and resubmit that app for approval before the close of this offer.

We will do our best to promptly review each application submission. However, we cannot guarantee a decision within a specific timeframe. 

Also, to make your app available for download, there is one additional step. Each app must be “signed” and resubmitted into BlackBerry App World; if you haven’t signed your application please review our blog post that contains the needed information to sign your application.  Please sign your application and resubmit to BlackBerry App World.  When resubmitting add “_signed” to the end of the bundle name and rest assured you will not lose your spot in the review queue.

We appreciate the time and effort you have put into developing an app for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. The opportunities are rich for developers targeting this innovative, professional-grade tablet that’s already generating tremendous interest among users. We’re pleased and excited to have your applications for our launch and look forward to shared success and a long relationship.

Happy coding!

The BlackBerry Developer Program Team

P.S. You are welcome to submit multiple entries for consideration, but only one BlackBerry PlayBook tablet will be awarded per registered vendor in BlackBerry App World.

Developer

Originally, submissions did not need to be signed, as there was no way to do so.

I believe that they do need to be signed now, but I may be wrong. I've seen some reports of people getting denied and asked to sign their app, but there was some confusion over whether this is the issue or if these developers were just being sent a generic decline email.

New Contributor
My Device: developer

Had a quick browse of the forum, so it looks like you do need to sign the application at some point, but this can be done after the deadline.

"You need to submit a signed version of your application before it can be sold on App World.  The application you submit to qualify for the free BlackBerry PlayBook does not need to be signed initially.  If you submit an unsigned application you will need to submit a signed version of it (this can occur after the cutoff date).  Resubmitting an application will not cause you to lose your place in the approval queue. "

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Is-Signing-must-for-free-playbook...

New Developer
My Device: BB Playbook
My Carrier: ---

@Brandon_Appetizer

I also believe they need to be signed but I can't find confirmation. I'll post as soon as I get it.

Thanks, 

-------------------------------------
www.danielwind.net

Playbook App:
Grab Da Crab
Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Any

thank you so much for all the replies and generous help.  I am going to try to see if I can submit without the key this evening.