Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Android on Playbook

@tyrael

Think about it this way, people who are going to buy Playbooks are likely going to be Blackberry fans, and not Android lovers scouring the world for 150K apps to run on a Playbook.

I'm sure those Android lovers interested in such a vast market of Android Apps will probably buy an Android Tablet and not a Playbook
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

This wouldn't be the first show floor rep I'd heard passing on info he'd read about in the press.

Also a likely possibility, he heard it internally, but really has no idea if it's just a possibility, a firm plan, an experiment, or a decoy rumour started deliberately.

And assuming it's true (I assume it basically is, though maybe not Dalvik), as someone pointed out in our #playbook-dev IRC chat, RIM would want a cut of the revenue so they'd quite possibly be requiring that the apps get submitted through App World, and that would significantly cut down the numbers, cut out many of the free ones... and probably improve quality a lot too!  So I don't really worry about 150K competitors...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

[ Edited ]

It could also mean that Android Apps written using Adobe framework can be ported over to Playbook. Untill we hear an offical word from BB, it will remain a strong rumour.. 

On a positive note I'd welcome Android apps on PB if its possible..it will expand the ecosystem and PB will be the most sought out device on the planet supporting multiple platforms.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@tags07, the guy apparently mentioned Dalvik explicitly, so that would be Java, not Adobe stuff.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

You are right, peter.. I didnt pay close attention to what he said when i saw the video first time. Lets hope its true Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Android apps coming over could be a mixed bag.  There seems to be a healthy contingent of Android users who are cheapskates and/or pirates.  Go read the Android blogs and see how they freak out and blow a gasket if they can't root their device immediately out of the box.  There's a list of legitimate reasons for rooting your device, and then there's the reason of being able to stiff developers for less than the cost of a gallon of gas or a latte.  I get the feeling the latter is the prime motive for a good percentage of them.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I hate to be a pessimist but I'm with Uber on this one, and partly because I feel RIM wouldn't do this for quality. The way they let ebooks in makes me think quantity is the only concern.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

UberschallSamsara wrote:

Android apps coming over could be a mixed bag.  There seems to be a healthy contingent of Android users who are cheapskates and/or pirates.  Go read the Android blogs and see how they freak out and blow a gasket if they can't root their device immediately out of the box.  There's a list of legitimate reasons for rooting your device, and then there's the reason of being able to stiff developers for less than the cost of a gallon of gas or a latte.  I get the feeling the latter is the prime motive for a good percentage of them.

it's like this on all devices.

besides, those who put a bit of effort into stealing software are generally the same users who wouldn't have bought it in the first place.  because of this, reports of "lost app sales" is always blown way out of proportion.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Understood that piracy can't be stopped - have read a lot of the arguments about it (e.g. phantom lost sales etc.) and lots of them make sense.  It's just that Android in particular has seen some folks doing some analytics & finding that the piracy rates are perhaps as high as 80-90% ... when it gets that high it's not far fetched to call it a "culture of piracy" and to believe that lost sales are involved.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

one potential issue if this is true could be redundancy.

the application i'm currently developing for PlayBook targets multi-screens and i plan on publishing it on the Android Market after the PlayBook launches (assuming my work is accepted and/or finished on time).

i assume that lots of AS3/AIR developers will be doing the same (and vice-versa) since it's quite simple to port to a whole new market using the same code base.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch