Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Android player leaked

Long term that is a sound approach, but requires a lot more additional resources (hardware, software, people, training, support, etc.). For those that want to "test the waters" on another platform, using AIR is your most conservative approach. It also depends on the type of application you are developing (game, biz app, etc.) and what features that are unique to each device that you want to leverage. For example, on the Xoom they have a barometric sensor.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

shawnblais wrote:

The games category on iOS scares me a bit, as there is just SO much competition. I'd be extremely interested in seeing how it goes for you as an indie dev....

I know initial sales would be high, I'm just not sure what the tail will look like in that category.

Haha, well I'm doing it more so that my friends and family can have my game, since nobody else I know has a PlayBook! Besides, it's not like sales can get any lower than they are here. I'll let  you know how everything pans out, but since I don't do any marketing, I'm not exactly expecting huge numbers.

shawnblais wrote:

Yes it supports only Objective-C, and you must use xCode, which means buying a mac to develop on.

With AIR you can target Androidn, Playbook and iOS all from one project, on Windows (if thats important to you). Not to mention, you leave the door open for AIR on TV, or any other future platforms.

Native projects are good and all, but that is more the realm of professional software development companies. As an indie dev, I can't support 3 simultaneous versions, in 3 different IDE's, with 3 different bug lists.

I disagree with you this time. If you're trying to make mobile development your livelihood, then your best bet is to develop professionally, and do whatever personal projects you like on the side. Mobile is hot right now, and the pay is high (at least in the US), but only for skilled native developers. Being a jack of all trades and a master of none won't provide any opportunities to you. Instead, pick a platform and master it. When I was starting out, I chose J2ME (and by proxy, BlackBerry). Today, the obvious choice is iOS.

Besides, as someone else mentioned, having one project source code doesn't guaruntee that you are protected from platform-specific bugs.

Developer

[ Edited ]

GoldenJoe wrote:

Being a jack of all trades and a master of none won't provide any opportunities to you. 

I disagree. There will certainly be opportunities out there for a developer who can promise 3 platforms for 100k, vs 3 native apps which cost 500k. Not to mention another mountain of money to maintain.

The value proposition of AIR is what sets it apart, just as Flash has done on the web for the last 10 years. Could you always do most things in HTML? You could, but the cost was totally prohibitive, testing was a nightmare, providing a consistent experience was extremely hard.

Flash filled in the gap by enabling consistent experiences across multiple platforms, at a fraction of the cost. There are tons of projects that just wouldn't have been done without Flash, because the companies just wouldn't have had the budget. AIR is doing the same thing now on devices.

And really, I'm already making 11k/month... with my first few apps, and I have a day job. So, I don't have too worry too much about looking for work anymore, and thats kinda how I like it, I've done enough of that.

Developer

I'm glad that you've found success, but your results are not typical for indie devs. I would also caution you against the stability of that kind of income, which I assume from your previous post, is attributable almost entirely to iOS. If that is the case, why would you bother with something like the PlayBook (aside from the potential gold rush it offered prior to release), and why wouldn't you become an iOS expert and use your credentials to pursue a high profile contract? If your income was evenly spread across the platforms, that would be another story, but I don't see the advantage to the way you are operating now.

Developer

Thats a good point, but Android and Playbook do account for about 20% if my income, so they're not inconsequential. And Android continues to trend upwards.

I also love the idea of having a stable of apps I can deploy to any new platform AIR supports, for example how about OSX App Store? We'll be able to target that with the upcoming AIR 3.0. So, the flexibility of not really being tied into one platform is nice.

Efficiency is another big plus for AIR imo, coding AS3 is fast and easy, managing assets inside Flash is extremely simple, AS3 has a huge wealth of application-architectures, game frameworks, and forums to consult when you get stuck.

Developer
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

shawnblais wrote:
Efficiency is another big plus for AIR imo, coding AS3 is fast and easy, managing assets inside Flash is extremely simple, AS3 has a huge wealth of application-architectures, game frameworks, and forums to consult when you get stuck.

Ther is one thing AIR lacks --- threads!

Trying to get my app to perform its massive number crunching before anything could be displayed was anything but fast and easy. I found a lot of the forum discussions were about how to fake mult-threaded behaviour in a single-threaded model.

Also I don't believe that AS3 even includes libraries for features usb, blutooth profiles and magnetometer. So in a lot of cases  AIR's alleged "portability" is a non-starter.

Developer

Ya totally true, living behind the abstraction layer is definitely frustrating at times, and being single threaded really sucks.

They're working on it though, worker threads are coming, and native extensions too so we can tap into native code and apis.
Developer

shawnblais wrote:
They're working on it though, worker threads are coming, and native extensions too so we can tap into native code and apis.

This is truly welcome news. Silly question - is there a timeline for these improvements?

Developer

As far as I know Adobe has not set a street date for AIR 3.0.

If I were a betting man though, I would expect it to arrive, at the very latest, by Adobe Max 2011 (early Oct).

Developer

shawnblais wrote:

As far as I know Adobe has not set a street date for AIR 3.0.

If I were a betting man though, I would expect it to arrive, at the very latest, by Adobe Max 2011 (early Oct).

Hmmm.... roughly a year after RIM announced AIR as the (primary?) development platform.

It is good to have hope for the future but I am not a betting man.  I can't imagine that many consumers will be happy with my vapour ware offerings in App World (no matter how well designed they happen to be).