Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780, PlayBook 16GB, PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Anyone have their App approved?

Hi Pete,

Now I must say I'm concerned in how I submitted now! Is this not supported?

I am talking about the vendor portal. There is an option "try and buy" and you upload two releases, a trial and a paid one. For the trial, I implemented what JRab mentioned. When you download the app, I set an expiration date, once that date is released, you can no longer add anything new. The trial version does allow you to continue to use but nothing new. Once you download the paid version, the trial expiration is removed and nothing is lost.

Make sense?

Keith

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

JRab wrote:  ... when the user first loads the app on their device you can store the date installed in a database or a file somewhere. after that your program would check how long it has been since the app was installed ... once the difference in time has been, say, 30 days the app could cripple its features or even stop loading up until the user inputs a key to unlock it.

The problem with trying to implement that right now is that we have no information about how to store such a date in a way that wouldn't result in it being deleted if the user uninstalled the app.  I've assumed that the Payment SDK (or just the next general SDK) would support provide a documented mechanism for that but so far there's no way to do it that's known to be reliable.  (The app storage directory, for example, is currently deleted when an app is removed, at least in development mode.)

The other flaw is the "collection" part... how would you propose with currently released mechanisms that someone could get paid for releasing the license key?  (I actually thought I'd read, or heard in the 5th webcast, that we couldn't set up alternate payment mechanisms, but perhaps that's not the case.  I can't see it in the App World agreement at the moment.)

I understand pretty thoroughly the possible mechanisms for doing this... I just didn't see any way to do it yet and was curious what the value of selecting "Try and Buy" was.

And just before I posted this, I saw Keith's response which suggests that in fact there is real support in App World for this mechanism, so I think that fairly thorougly answers my question.  Thanks Keith!  I don't see any reason for concern based on what you've described, other than a few details that I'm now confident will be sorted out in due time.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey kmitchell,

no worries i think you've got it right. here is an excerpt from the App World Administration guide under license type:

Static: A user does not require a license key to run the product. If you select Try & Buy as the license type and static as the license model for your product, you must upload two releases of a product, the trial version and the full version. Because the static model does not require a license key, the user cannot use the trial version to unlock the full version. To get the full version of the product, the user must pay for the product in BlackBerry App World and download the product separately.

so since you uploaded two versions you went the static license route.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

kmitchell wrote:

There is an option "try and buy" and you upload two releases, a trial and a paid one. For the trial, I implemented what JRab mentioned. When you download the app, I set an expiration date, once that date is released, you can no longer add anything new. The trial version does allow you to continue to use but nothing new. Once you download the paid version, the trial expiration is removed and nothing is lost.

Sounds pretty good... that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping they'd support in some fashion.

It seems like the only way this works is if the OS will recognize these two apps as being effectively the same one, so that when you download the paid version, it quietly overwrites the applicationDirectory contents for the trial one, but doesn't disturb the applicationStorageDirectory.  I assume you write the expiration date info to that location?

Have you checked whether it will just be possible for someone to uninstall the app, then install it again and have that reset the expiration date?  It will probably lose their data when they do it, but depending on the nature of your app maybe that won't matter to them and they can just recreate the content.  I would think this could be an issue for some apps, like those which don't really manage any useful data for the user.  (For example, a game... who cares if you lose your high scores?)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780, PlayBook 16GB, PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Bell

Whew! Smiley Happy    thanks J.Rab... thats what went with. Ok, I feel ok again.

BTW.... I should point out that when you download the paid version, I will continue on even if the trial version is not there, but if its there, I will reset certain things. Again, once I have a device this kinda stuff becomes a whole lot easier.

Keith

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

zezke wrote:

@RottenOgre When did you submit your app?

I think it was the 23rd.
I got the confirmation email on the 27th (and yeah, count me among those who thought the email meant I had gotten the Playbook Robot Mad).
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

I submitted my app on the 11th. I got an URGENT email on the 17th stating I did not select PlayBook as a device when submitting my application. I changed that on the same day and I got the "Success! You’ve completed the first step toward a free BlackBerry PlayBook tablet." email on the 23rd. I'm still waiting for approval.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook

Is the total number of approvals still 1?

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

As far as I know, yes.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Questionable 1.  Many think they read the email incorrectly.