Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Anyone have their PlayBook received?

I can't speak for Cas118, but I think he meant that if 3rd party apps aren't allowed, the same thing will happen to the PlayBook that happened to the iPhone/iPod, specifically 'jailbreaking' (AKA hacking).

Developer
My Device: Z30 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Not at all!

I mean that if you can only install apps through appworld, then it becomes more desireable to hack the device to install homebrew software and the like.

It isn't an assumption that it would be more secure or not.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

You'll be able to install apps via "development mode' from a WiFi connection and/or USB connection.  Would not be hard to create a little commercial AIR app to drag-n-drop a BAR file to install on the device (for consumers).

Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Developer

May my app makes it easier. Its ment to transfer files but im not sure if you can install files from playbook itself
Developer

That's true.

I think. It's fair to say that there will likely be ways to do this, as I've always been attracted to RIM devices because they support open or well established standards (ports, audio files... You name it)

Every garden wall that Apple puts in (proprietary USB cables, iTunes to transfer music with only MP3 or AAC etc) turns me right off.

As long as RIM keep this 'openness' for the consumer, I'll be on board. But now I'm digressing Smiley Happy Point is that I don't see RIM fighting it, and then there is no need to jailbreak the PlayBook.

Follow me on Twitter1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Danel wrote:
May my app makes it easier. Its ment to transfer files but im not sure if you can install files from playbook itself

It's not clear what you mean, exactly, but if you're asking if you'll be able to "transfer the QNX OS files", the answer is that the OS will have (and even in the 0.9.4 simulator does have) rather secure permissions on folders and files, and you will absolutely not be able to overwrite any important OS file this way.  In fact, there won't be much you can do except install .bar files, and retrieve shared data from the device.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Regular Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Developer

peter9477 wrote:

Danel wrote:

It's not clear what you mean, exactly, but if you're asking if you'll be able to "transfer the QNX OS files", the answer is that the OS will have (and even in the 0.9.4 simulator does have) rather secure permissions on folders and files, and you will absolutely not be able to overwrite any important OS file this way.  In fact, there won't be much you can do except install .bar files, and retrieve shared data from the device.

I was a bit unclear.

What i ment was that if users are able to install .bar files which are stored in/on PlayBook (as downloaded file or something) then my submitted app would be kind of helpfull. Its designed to transfer images but supports other formats as well. (up to 5 mb)

But since i developed it on simulator and there i could only browse for image files, im not sure if other files (as ZIP and MP3) were transferred. Ive tested to transfer other than image files and as application said, it worked, but im not sure if they were saved on the device or not.

Nope its not OS specific files that i was thinking of.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

The picture of what you want is still fuzzy, but maybe I can clarify a few things that will help.

You should be able to "download" arbitrary files to the PlayBook.  Certainly, any app could retrieve any kind of data and store it in the filesystem, so of course a .bar file isn't different than that.

Users should also be able to hook a tablet to their PC as a "mass storage device" and transfer shared files in and out of the device, including .bar files.

What I think is unlikely is being able to install a .bar file that already resides on the device.  I use the term "install" in the sense of extracting the .bar contents under the /apps/ folder, where the other apps are installed, and setting it up for launching on the tablet, with its icon displayed and so on.  Merely transferring the file to the system is not the same as "installing" it.

By the way, you could have tested on the simulator, using other means.  There's nothing stopping you from checking the contents of a folder, using File.getDirectoryListing(), so you could simply write your own code to check whether the files are transferred, rather than using the "Browse" dialog.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

It wouldn't surprise me if some smart alec Linux hackers would sniff the packets between the SDK binaries and the PlayBook and try to work out a way of simulating RIM command-line tools.

Of course, I have no idea how feasible this is - but nothing is impossible. Sony's PS3 signing key being on the internet is testimony to that Smiley Happy

Either way, it just makes me want my PlayBook more and more. Anyone got theirs yet? It's only a couple of weeks to the US release!

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Well, the playbook sim was rooted last week so if there isn't outside access to install apps then I think people will find away extremely quickly!

However, I wonder what this would say about RIM's "security" if the playbook was easily hacked to allow third party access?

Oh, and I'm excited to see your file transfer app Daniel! Does it do iOS to Playbook by any chance?
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -