Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: Playbook (sim)
My Carrier: Base

Re: Anyone have their PlayBook received?

that would be great! but asap could mean as soon as possible as they are available Smiley Wink

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My App: Peg Solitaire

Need a designer? Drop me a line
Developer
My Device: BB Style
My Carrier: Sprint

right..it may not be possible for various reasons to ship before April 19th...which could prepping include distribution channels, legalities ..God knows what else. But the day is not far off for sure Smiley Happy

Think of an app to kill your time in the meantime Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: n/a

jffurlan wrote:

They have actually stated more recently that they will  "be sending them to developers ASAP", however this is neither confirmation that we will get them before or after they are publicly available. I'm obviously pulling for them to be shipped out tomorrow, and have it not be an April Fools joke.

I think before that statement they said "Developers are first priority" but that could just be something they are saying to make us feel special.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I attended the BlackBerry Developer Days conference in Toronto today. From what I heard from a few people, they are still planning on shipping it to the developers before release. Maybe they were just waiting for the offer period to be over.

Also, I finally got to play with the PlayBook and it was just as awesome as I expected. It was a little buggy, but I believe it was an earlier build. Nonetheless, it was awesome! Thanks to Mike Kirkup for letting me use his PlayBook

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer

alexperri7 wrote:

From what I heard from a few people, they are still planning on shipping it to the developers before release. 

Official people or third hand knowledge?

alexperri7 wrote:

Also, I finally got to play with the PlayBook and it was just as awesome as I expected. It was a little buggy, but I believe it was an earlier build.

What sort of issues?

New Developer

@thesmileman,

Unnoficial. I talked to people who said Mike and other RIM representatives told them that, but they never said it on record. So take it with a grain of salt. Still, I'd like to believe it because I am so much more excited to get my PlayBook now.

Also, the problems it encountered were a couple of apps freezing for a few seconds and exiting, and at one instance the whole thing froze and had to be rebooted. Other than that, everything seemed very smooth and polished. They did a live demo of the PlayBook on the huge screen, and even showed off playing a hi-def video on the screen while doing something else on the actual PlayBook.

I don't know how much of this stuff has been covered, but we were also able to lock the orientation via a button on screen, or have it do auto orientation. App World on the PlayBook also worked, but not all the approved apps were in it yet. Still pretty exciting to see the new App World.

My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer

alexperri7 wrote:

@thesmileman,

Also, the problems it encountered were a couple of apps freezing for a few seconds and exiting, and at one instance the whole thing froze and had to be rebooted. Other than that, everything seemed very smooth and polished. They did a live demo of the PlayBook on the huge screen, and even showed off playing a hi-def video on the screen while doing something else on the actual PlayBook.

The app bringing the system down and forcing a reboot seems pretty serious. Especially for an OS which comes from the embedded realtime world. It is almost unheard of to bring down the core OS for types of systems (But I guess RIM has a hold of it now so who knows). 

alexperri7 wrote:

@thesmileman,

I don't know how much of this stuff has been covered, but we were also able to lock the orientation via a button on screen, or have it do auto orientation. App World on the PlayBook also worked, but not all the approved apps were in it yet. Still pretty exciting to see the new App World.

Is there an orientation lock switch on the device? I hope so because for a while apple switched the orientation lock to a mute button and I absolutely HATED it because this is so handy of a feature to have as an actual switch. Thank goodness you have a choice now.

New Developer

@thesmileman,

Sorry for being unclear. It wasn't an actual button on the device. It was a button on the screen near the clock. The other things I learned were that to reboot the device, you hold down both the volume keys for a certain period of time, and to take a snapshot of the screen, you click both volume buttons quickly (you should hear a sound when it works). The picture is then saved to the photo album.

Developer

@alexperri7,

How long did it take for the full reboot?

New Developer

I believe a couple of minutes for a full hard reset to boot up. The whole time it was booting up a cool PlayBook logo with background animation showed.