Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Anyone have their PlayBook received?

@Brandon_Appetizer (and @thesmileman), discussing airplane mode and whether the PlayBook has it is totally on topic.

Debating whether it takes an open flame to ignite gasoline, or whether a cell phone can spark and ignite gas vapour, is not on topic. 

That's all I meant.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

This morning, I left the house to head up about an hour north of the city to visit some relatives. My girlfriend asked to borrow something from me, but I couldn't wait for her to come by to pick it up (I had to meet my relatives at a certain time) so i left it in the mailbox for her. A couple of hours later, my girlfriend calls me and tells me that she is outside my house to pick up the item from the mailbox, and there is a fedex man outside my house with a package for me.

She tells me that the package is for me but he needed my permission to let her sign the package for me. She tells me she thinks its my PlayBook. I tell her that I don't believe her, being April fools and all, and she insists that theres a fedex delivery man outside my house. I continue to tell her that I'd be very mad if she was joking, and I hear the delivery man asking if that was Alex Perri that she was on the phone. She asks me one more time if she has permission to sign the package and I tell her yes. At this point, I'm very excited because I wasn't expecting any other packages.

After she's done with the man, I told her to open the box to see what it is, so she started opening it and she was like "Oh my  god I think its your BlackBerry! I see something black!" I started freaking out, getting very excited. She keeps opening it, all excited, and all of a sudden she was like "Oh...I'm sorry Alex. It's just the books you ordered for school."

I had to make a photo book for school and order it from an online book making service, and my cover is black, so when she saw the edge of the black book, she thought it was a black box that the PlayBook would've come in. I completely forgot I ordered it last week. I was extremely disappointed. Its funny that I unintentionally got pranked on April Fools.

The wait continues...

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Off topic but... on the note about turning "airplane" mode on -- i've heard it doenst interfere with anything really, they just want to make sure you are paying attention to the stewrdess on the airplane and listening for any new and important instructions.

@alexperri: dude that woulda given me the biggest pair of blue balls ever -- and also the greatest full proof april fools joke she cud pull on you without even knowing it

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

@JRab,

haha thats definitely the feeling I got. It was all like "Is it it? Is it it?? Cummonnnnn IS IT IT????" and then blahhh its nothing. She kept telling me how sorry she was and didn't mean for it to be a prank or anything haha but man it wasn't a nice feeling. Biggest tease ever.

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
Regular Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: T-Mobile

@jrab -- I have seen demonstrations where cell phones were able to affect navigation instruments in airplanes. The specific situation was

1 - first-generation analog AMPS phone putting out relatively enormous amounts of continuous RF energy (compared to packet bursts and smaller radios in modern phones)

2 - the phone's antenna was placed in direct contact with the instrument's housing

3 - the instrument in question was a sensitive automatic radio direction-finder, which would only ever be used for primary navigation in a very small plane in an emergency situation

In that case, the phone did make the ADF needle swing around when it rang. So in the strictest sense, it is possible for cell phones to affect plane navigation. But things like GPS units wouldn't be affected, and any plane that was down to only an ADF would be in constant emergency radio contact with the tower, and passengers are many metres from the instruments and on the other side of several bulkheads, and no one uses AMPS phones any more. Any remotely realistic situation is going to have zero effect on the plane Smiley Tongue

Honestly though I hope the requirement for aiplane mode continues to exist, because could you imagine flying on a plane with 200 other people bored out of their minds and all talking on their cell phones? Hell on (above) earth!

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

I would be very, very surprised if we receive our PlayBooks prior to April 19th, and I'd even be surprised if RIM were to ship them them prior to the 19th.

For one thing, RIM will want to maximize the amount of time they have to work on the software, eliminating as many bugs and putting as much polish on the software as they can.  On any device as cutting edge as the PlayBook, they'll want every last day possible. I would think the devices would be manufactored overseas, and so sure, there is likely plenty of hardware sitting around ready to go, but I would think those devices would get their software updated at the last minute before sending them off to retailers, etc. Who knows when the software will go "gold", but I wouldn't be surprised if it was as late as a week before launch.

My instincs are that devs would start receiving their PlayBooks within a week or two of launch, but we shall see!

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

[ Edited ]
dbigham, I would be very surprised to hear RIM is still working on the 1.0 release software. Keep in mind that they need products to be at retail stores on the 19th, giving them approximately 2 weeks to get ready. If the software is ready in time to ship to retail for the 19th, why not ship to devs for the 19th? Also, the playbook will recieve an OTA update with any fixes when you first connect to wifi.
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

dbigham, I would be very surprised to hear RIM is still working on the 1.0 release software

It's not 1.0 according to someone who saw a demo at Best Buy today.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/playbook-demo-best-buy-kitchener-600986/

He says the demo unit there had software release v1.0.2.1335 on it.

---
My Apps:
KeepUp (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/26514?lang=en)
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

That not saying that PR won't rename it to 1.0 to please regular consumers.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

tyrael wrote:
It's not 1.0 according to someone who saw a demo at Best Buy today.

When we refer to "1.0" we're referring in a deliberately imprecise manner to "the final release of the software", whatever the actual major/minor/build version numbers may be.  If you think of it as a number, it's like the difference between say "24 minutes" and "24.217271 minutes".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!