Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Anyone have their PlayBook received?

That not saying that PR won't rename it to 1.0

I wondered if that was the case.

It's nice to see that a RIM rep was going around showing off the device, regardless of how close to complete the software is.

---
My Apps:
KeepUp (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/26514?lang=en)
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: WiFi

Yes, when I said v1.0 I meant it in the software development context of an initial release. To rephrase my statement, I would be surprised if the manufactured hardware recieves an update between now and when it ships.

Where was this RIM rep doing a demo? I need to get in on some of this action...
----------------------------------------
If this post solved your problem, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button.
If you found this post useful, please provide a Kudo. Thanks.

Approved Apps: Celestial Slingshot
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Where was this RIM rep doing a demo? I need to get in on some of this action...

Best Buy, Kitchener. The guy who saw it also added the rep on BBM, and she's supposed to keep him posted about future demos and where they are. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread I linked earlier to see if there's a demo near me, and I recommend you do too.

---
My Apps:
KeepUp (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/26514?lang=en)
Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

I guess the "over the air" update ability gives RIM some more flexibility in terms of not needing to update hardware with the latest software before shipping... so perhaps all of the existing hardware has the final software by now and they'll simply be working like mad to release an over-the-air update in time for the 19th to fix as many of the remaining bugs as they can.  All of these logistics must make releasing a product like this lots of fun for project managers at RIM and other similar organizations.

Still, I'd be surprised if RIM were to ship devs their PlayBooks prior to the 19th.  Not that I'd be disappointed to be wrong Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

The more I think about it, I'd be surprised too. Think of the devs that are still waiting on approval. I highly doubt they'd be ok with everyone else receiving a playbook before launch, even if we have been approved for months. Knowing that, I could definitely see RIM shipping the week of, as that gives them two weeks to make sure everyone who was eligible is approved.

I'm still optimistic that'll I get much sooner than the 19th though!
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None

I went back and watched one of the webinars .recently and one of th RIM reps said that it was their intention to ship the free playbooks to developers early so they could optimise their apps. That gave me some hope but I still wont be surprised if it takes til the end of april for my playbook to arrive.
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: verizon

FuzzDog wrote:
I went back and watched one of the webinars .recently and one of th RIM reps said that it was their intention to ship the free playbooks to developers early so they could optimise their apps. That gave me some hope but I still wont be surprised if it takes til the end of April for my playbook to arrive.

They also said the playbook would be available in the first quarter of 2011. lol I wish they would hurry up and send them I've got a buyer for mine.

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

jffurlan wrote:
The more I think about it, I'd be surprised too. Think of the devs that are still waiting on approval. I highly doubt they'd be ok with everyone else receiving a playbook before launch, even if we have been approved for months. Knowing that, I could definitely see RIM shipping the week of, as that gives them two weeks to make sure everyone who was eligible is approved.

They really should be ok with that: I have been waiting since my approval on the 15th of February to finally test my app on a real device. I can only hope that everything goes as planned, otherwise some disastrous reviews could be headed my way.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

Zezke, oddly enough I was approved the same day lol. I hope they would be ok with it as well, but it wouldn't surprise me if RIM waited a bit before sending them.
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

As said, I would really enjoy having a week before to see if there aren't big display bugs because we only tested our apps on the simulator.

I don't want to receive somme horrible reviews because lack of time to test on a real device