Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Anyone have their PlayBook received?

i'm not sure.  even if they did ship to developers early, and bugs were found and fixed, your update would still have to go thru an approval process which would likely not be finalized before the launch of the PlayBook.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

As we wait for these tablets with ridiculous anticipation, I have to wonder: What is it about these devices that has captured our imaginations? I mean, when the iPad came out, I picked one up as soon as I could, and was looking forward to trying it out, but my anticipation pales in comparison to my excitement for the PlayBook. Why is that? Can anyone else out there relate?

I don't know if it's because I'm invested in the platform having written an app, or if its because it's being produced in my town (Waterloo), or whether it's something else. But I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Developer

i like to think of the PlayBook as the first "proper" tablet computer.  one that isn't going to be locked down into a walled garden.  the fact alone that developers will be able to distribute and promote applications outside of RIM's App World speaks volumns of the openness of the product.  not to mention the supporting languages (including C++) as well as the upcoming Android Player or the impressive specs of the device.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

TheDarkin1978: where did you see that developers will be able to distribute apps outside of appworld?
- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

As we wait for these tablets with ridiculous anticipation, I have to wonder: What is it about these devices that has captured our imaginations? I mean, when the iPad came out, I picked one up as soon as I could, and was looking forward to trying it out, but my anticipation pales in comparison to my excitement for the PlayBook. Why is that?

Unlike you, I wasn't excited at all by the iPad.I just couldn't see it as anything but a gigantic, superbly marketed, iPod. Older Windows tablets OS wasn't quite right either, since everything about it was designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind.

The PlayBook, on the other hand, has a tablet OS. It's quicker and more portable than most other tablets, too, but I think the OS is the biggest draw to the PlayBook. It just looks like it will be a joy to use.

Also, I'm basically just a kid at 16. This is the first device I feel like is really MINE. Sure, I've bought other stuff before, but I got a lot of the money from my parents as allowance. This device, on the other hand, I earned completely on my own, which makes it seem that much nicer to be getting it.

The PlayBook is an exciting device - an enjoyable UI, (similar to a smartphone's, but tablet optimized), portable like a phone and powerful like a laptop (or at least a netbook). It's the best of both the smartphone and the computer. Being a developer makes the concept seem that much sweeter.

---
My Apps:
KeepUp (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/26514?lang=en)
Developer

jffurlan wrote:
TheDarkin1978: where did you see that developers will be able to distribute apps outside of appworld?

i can't remember the exact reference, but i believe it was mentioned in one of the webinars last year.  

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: vzw

[ Edited ]

I had zero interest in tablets till I seen the PlayBook.  When I seen the iPad I just kind of laughed.  I can remember all of the pre announcement hype, everyone thought it would run a Mac Os and be this amazing computer replacement.  Then it was announced and it's an iPod that wont fit in your pocket. Even after I heard rumours of BlackBerry making a tablet I wasn't interested.  Because I wrongly assumed RIM would make something like the iPad. When I first heard of the BlackPad I figured it would have a phone OS, No flash and it wouldn't fit in my pocket,  So I had zero interest in it, even after owning (and loving) several BlackBerry smartphones.

That all changed at Devcon. I remeber watching the keynote live on my desktop and I was freaking out as they were announcing it.  I been hooked every since. PlayBook meets everything I hoped a tablet would be. Awesome hardware, Awesome OS, Awesome Multi tasking, Full web browsing experince and it fits in my pocket.

It's kind of funny,  the PlayBook is the only tablet announced or out right now that I would actually buy and RIM is nice enough to give me one

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
My Carrier: Telstra Australia

Tyrael, this is spot on. Exactly why I'm so anticipated for a PlayBook. I like the look of iPad 2, but I never came around to buying an iPad 1 (and won't buy a 2) because everyone has one and it's just something else in between my Mac and my iPhone. The PlayBook is different, it's smaller, I think it's overall quite cooler Smiley Happy I can't wait for mine, but I'm in Australia so god knows when I'll get mine Smiley Very Happy

Developer

TheDarkIn1978 wrote:

jffurlan wrote:

i can't remember the exact reference, but i believe it was mentioned in one of the webinars last year.  

humm... so i just tried searching for information on this and can't seem to find any.  i'm sure i wouldn't have dreamed this up myself and would certainly have assumed otherwise so i must have read or heard it somewhere.

anyone else know if this is true or not?  the more i think about it the less likely it seems.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey darkin,

Ryan from CES stated that at first installing apps will only work via App World but they plan on later adding third party sources for apps. It's in the video with Kevin from crackberry. I'll try to dig up a link!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman