Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: App icon 90x90 based on default cube. OK?

I've been using flat icons with rounded corners or transparent backgrounds to show the shape of the icon. I think 3d icons would look better but I suck with 3d. I thought about using the default icon as an template but I think that translucent box is ugly.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

If you can also save that vector cube in EPS or AI format, that would be helpful.

New Developer
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

At first I made a 3D cube icon, then I switched to the standard square icon, but I thought it would be kind of boring to see a lot of icons using the same format, so I went for something different. If you can see in the picture, those are the two designs I ended up making. I used the second one for submittal. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems for approval since it doesn't follow the standar look.

my_icons.png

---------------------------------
My PlayBook Apps: Pocket Portrait Lighting, Pocket Food Photography, Allergen Free Cooking, Easy Agenda
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

How are you all getting the 86x86 icon to show up? In my app.xml I have:

<icon>
                <image72x72>blackberry-tablet-icon.png</image72x72>
            </icon>

And I have to use a 72x72. I have created an 86x86 icon, but can't figure out what to do in the xml to get it to show up.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Okay, attached should be an Inkscape (SVG) file with a basic template in three layers (guides, icon, box, from bottom to top).  The guides layer has a pink outline for the 77x77 region in which you image should mostly be: turn it off when exporting of course.  The icon layer is where you'd put your own image... I stuck the BlackBerry logo in there to match the default one for now.  The box layer (on top) has the translucent box.

It's hard to tell quite what the black gradient is for in the original (the shadow is supposed to be system-generated) so I left it out.  It might be critical to avoid the image looking too "flat".  Note that dark rectangle around the default one... looks like a flaw to me but mine doesn't seem to suffer from that.

It's not a perfect match, but then the default one is still a 90x90 in SDK 0.9.2 so I'm not too concerned.  If someone else would like to tweak to make it match even closer you're welcome to the job.

Here's a screenshot showing the results of using the new template.  Both apps named Foo Bar were built with the new one; the others are all the default.  (Not that you can judge much with that hideous background... I hope it's removed from the shipping units!)

icon-template-screenshot.png

I've included the Inkscape source in SVG, and a "save as" in EPS format, which is the best I can do.  Maybe somebody else can fix the EPS if it's broken, and generate AI or whatever for others.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty much an Inkscape rookie, so constructive criticism is best. ;-)

Also note, in case you're going to use this and are also not an expert: the background (under Document Properties) seems to need to be fully transparent (alpha 0) when exporting as a bitmap.  Unfortunately for me that makes the whole page go white, so I can't actually see the box or anything else that's white when I'm exporting.  Not a big deal... I just temporarily make the background transparent, export, then restore it to alpha 100% (and black).  No doubt there's a more sensible approach, since it would be silly if Inkscape was unable to show a background with any colour other than white when you just want it fully transparent.  (Tips welcome!)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

[ Edited ]

In my application.xml I have nothing related to icons.

In my blackberry-tablet.xml file I have this, at the moment:

<icon>
    <image>3d_box_icon_sample.png</image>
</icon>

And my packaging command line ensures that the appropriate image is included in the .bar file (which you can check by extracting it with a zip program).

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Huh. I'm using Flash Builder 4 and I get an error when I try your version. It says "application.icon.image is an unexpected image/attribute". I can only use the version I posted before. I'm guessing this is a FB issue of some sort. I'm using the new SDK, though. Odd.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry® PlayBook™
My Carrier: .

[ Edited ]

You're getting the error about application.icon.image because <image>whatever.png</image> is not supported without one of the AIR specific, predefined set of measurements included. The PlayBook icon size is not one of the predefined measurements, so BlackBerry provided a way to define the icon and override the regular AIR descriptor.

It will work without the measurements if you delete the icon reference without measurements (valid icon sizes should be fine to leave in place if you're working cross-platform) in the main application descriptor (blah-app.xml, blah.xml or application.xml) and place the measurement-less version in the blackberry-tablet.xml file as others have mentioned. This will override the main app descriptor's icon element.

If it was in blackberry-tablet.xml and had an issue, you'd get an error about qnx.icon.image.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

@peter9477

Cool, thanks for this! my icon was looking a bit plain...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out MyBestShot for the playbook in Blackberry Appworld.
Developer

Note info in another thread about revised advice for the application icons.