Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Application Crashes on Startup!

Alright I'll admit I am an extreme novice when it comes to application development, as I have just entered the market. I previously designed websites and am now getting into FLEX via Adobe Flash Builder 4.5

Having said that, I feel that my FLEX code for a simple calculator I made is correct, and I'm willing to post it for debug purposes.

I have successfully uploaded my debug tokens, signed the bar file, and am even able to upload the application to my physical blackberry playbook device. However as soon as the application tries to load, it immediately crashes.

Has anyone had similar experiences and/or willing to share helpful advice. I know I have read other comments of people sharing this same issue and it would be nice to get it fixed once and for all.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Application Crashes on Startup!

Have you started by getting the standard Hello World app to run first?

Also, have you enabled debugging, and watched the output for a traceback? That may point to the error...

Also... "immediately crashes".. what's that mean? Can you be more specific? Like, you see the splash screen, then the app immediately closes without ever showing your own page, or even a blank grey screen (or whatever your background colour is)?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

Thank you for your response.

I was able to get it working using this help:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jasonsj/2011/05/flex45_air25_playbook.html

Hopefully I won't have to use this workaround in the future.

And no, I have not tried the getting started hello world app. The calculator works, I am able to load it in the Playbook. I just need to fix some orientation settings, because I can only see the top half of the calculator as it was made for portrait size and not landscape, and for some reason the tablet will not automatically reorient. Any help there would be very useful and save me quite a bit of googling lol

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

If you search the forum for info about the application.xml file, you'll see how you can put <autoOrients>false</autoOrients> and <aspectRatio>portrait</aspectRatio> in there to force it to portrait mode.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!