Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-27-2011
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Application name with easter-asian language characters

It looks like the Playbook Simulator dash-board does not show non-English characters properly, if an App's name contains such characters. For example, if I have the following name inside app.xml (meaning "" in Chinese), the Simulator shows two question-marks instead. 

 

<name>&#27426;&#36814;</name>-

 

The browser shows all languages properly. It is just the dash-board which does not.  In fact, the dash-board shows two question-marks for the above (which is good news actually, because the XML parser handles the numeric character reference properly).

 

So is it a Simulator bug? I really want to use the non-English characters as the title if this works in real device. Can anyone from RIMM verify? (I talked to some guy in RIMM -- they already have the physical devices.)

 

Or, can I change the App name after the App is submitted?

 

Thanks!

Developer
Posts: 6,473
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Application name with easter-asian language characters

I can't say yet if the simulator is capable of displaying any non-ASCII characters in the app names, but the immediate cause of the problem you're seeing has nothing to do with the simulator.

 

The packaging process is taking that name and storing it with the question mark in the MANIFEST.MF file, and that's what gets displayed.

 

You might want to experiment with changing the MANIFEST.MF file directly, though my guess is that won't help.  Worth a shot...


Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
Posts: 6,473
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Application name with easter-asian language characters

Well, easier done than said, almost.

 

I extracted a .bar, modified the MANIFEST.MF to include a character available in Latin-1 (ò), and rezipped it.  Tried to install and got this error:

 

result::failure 500 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF:12: invalid UTF-8: 'Application-Name: TestApp\xf2\n'

That told me the MANIFEST.MF file is treated as UTF-8, which was a surprise.

 

 

I then changed the encoding in my text editor for that file to UTF8 and inserted the first of your two characters.  (You can't use an XML character entity in MANIFEST.MF obviously, as it's not an XML file.)  This showed up in the simulator just fine.

 

The specific line to change is this:

 

Entry-Point-Name: TestApp欢

Note, however, that I would be cautious about doing this for several reasons.

 

 

For one thing, RIM may simply reject it.  That's fine, at least they'd tell you why and you could fix it.  If this is your first app, for the free offer, it's your choice whether to gamble on confusing the issue.

 

Secondly, there are two additional items in MANIFEST.MF that are built from the <name> string.  "Application-Name:" and "Application-Description:" both come from there (at least in my case, where I didn't specify a separate description string).  Whether or not you should also change either of those is anyone's guess, as we have no documentation about any of these items yet, including how they will be used.

 

So technically it's feasible, and not a simulator problem, but if the build tools don't support it there may be a good reason for it.

 

At the least, you should submit a feature request in the Issue tracker for this, as it would certainly be useful to others.


Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!