Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sofrware engineering
Accepted Solution

Application run in the backgroup

Hi all!

I've found a funny application named 'WhatsApp Messenger' which runs in the IOS platform recently. It can also runs in the BB OS.

I have no idea that whether the qnx platform support the apps like ‘WhatsApp Messenger’ which have three feature as below:

1,the apps can run in background

2,the apps can access to the network while run in background,even the device had locked the screen.

3,when the apps received a message from the remote socket server,can it call system volume or something else to notice the user?

If Playbook support these,anyone can give me some idea to achieve it?

If not,please tell me why?

Thanks for you reply!

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Application run in the backgroup

You get two out of three for now. There's no such thing as "background" for our apps, unless you count apps that are running with their windows visible.

They don't have to be fullscreen though. I run several programs "in the background" just by launching them and leaving them running all the time while I run other apps too.

The network access is fine via QNXSystem.requestResource(QNXSystemResource.NETWORKING).

An app can do anything even when the device is in standby, provided it sets itself up with the right QNXSystem.inactivePowerMode settings. That includes making sounds or even adjusting the volume.

Note also that in low-memory situations, the least-recently used app will be terminated first, and there's no auto-restart or anything, so this can affect the user experience with such an app. It may go "bye bye" without any warning and not come back until they notice and relaunch it.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Sofrware engineering

Re: Application run in the backgroud

Thanks,dear peter. I've learnt a lot from your professional answer.

I have an another question here. Can the apps set itself launched automatically while the playbook system starting,act like a Windows System Service?

Thanks again.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Application run in the backgroud

Sadly, no. There's no service capability of any kind that's exposed to us yet. Smiley Sad Definitely a feature high on my wish list...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!