Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Apps can be extracted from the Playbook?

shawnblais wrote:

To prevent your apps from running from outside the browser, this should suffice:

if(Capabilities.os.indexOf("PlayBook") == -1){

NativeApplication.nativeApplication.exit();

}

This is pretty crappy, but I don't think it's as a big a deal as you guys are saying. In order for this to have any real impact, ie reach the casual consumer, there will need to be a website or something hosting all these apps, and I doubt that will happen anytime soon...

As a Flash dev I'm pretty used to this, you release your stuff, you know if can be stolen, but you just have to accept that as a fact of life, and hope that the percentage of users who do it is relatively low...

I like this, but I think there's a potentially nasty pitfall if they ever change the OS string in later versions of the AIR runtime and you forget to check and update your old apps! Smiley Wink

SG1
Contributor
My Device: na
My Carrier: na

I have found that putting in functions that call the qnx libraries seem to stop operation in the browser. More specifically the swipedown. Putting this as the first operation in the oncreatecomplete function in the swf the code following this does not execute and the application will not load correctly.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: o2 (de)

This can't be meant seriously:

Status: For Future Consideration (Closed)  (was: Investigating)

I was planning to submit a WebWorks App for the upcoming competition. But that would expose my source code to every single user.

How can this happen within the "we're more secure than everyone else" company RIM?

- - -
My approved apps @ App World
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

biggerCC wrote:

This can't be meant seriously:

Status: For Future Consideration (Closed)  (was: Investigating)

I was planning to submit a WebWorks App for the upcoming competition. But that would expose my source code to every single user.

How can this happen within the "we're more secure than everyone else" company RIM?

Not sure what happened there.  I've re-opened the issue to be the official placeholder.

I don't have any further technical information to provide on this yet.  However, this issue is being taken very seriously and is under heavy discussion within RIM.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Mark, are there any progress updates on this?

Reason I'm asking is that one of my apps (Screamager) has been 'cloned' twice already. Both clones suck compared to mine so I know they can't be using my code, lucky for me but I'm really afraid a clone that actually uses my code and will therefore be equally good is going to show up.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Internally yes... but nothing I can share yet.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

Thanks Mark!

Still good news to me.  As long as it's being worked on I'm happy Smiley Happy

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Contributor
My Device: Dev
My Carrier: AT&T

This was first reported over two weeks ago.

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/TABLET-189

Surely there must be some update by now?  This is the kind of thing which will scare away developers.  If RIM could be more transparent and share their timeline and proposed goal to remedy this issue, even if it involves a multi-phase approach over the course of some time that would put developers' mind at ease.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

You can crack open an Air for Android apk file and extract the swf in exactly the same way. There are even examples of people doing this on the adobe forums in order to provide technical support. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Until you see a mass rip-off of swfs on the Android platform (with it's clearly much bigger userbase) then I don't think you should lose any sleep over this.

And if RIM are looking into solutions to make the .bar files secure anyway, then even better Smiley Happy

Contributor
My Device: Dev
My Carrier: AT&T

Couldn't this vulnerability be used to pirate paid apps?  If so, then there's already PLENTY of evidence of mass pirating going on in the Android platform.  I don't think it's wise to wait until something is a problem when proactive steps can be taken to minimize the chance of it becoming a serious problem.