Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

BAR files are compiled object files?

[ Edited ]

Is it possible that bugs/unexpected behavior could arise from the SDK used to build the app vs the version of SDK/Simulator used to test the app?

Do BAR files contain intermediate object code? Or is it decoded and interpreted as ActionScript?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: BAR files are compiled object files?

Any difference in versions could lead to bugs or unexpected behaviours, which is why configuration management is so critical in industry.

BAR files are (as I know you know already) just .zip files with a different extension and a defined internal structure (a manifest file, source under the air/ folder, etc).

The source folder content of primary interest is the SWF file, built from your app sources (.as or whatever else you might have depending on the IDE).

The SWF file contains bytecodes for the ActionScript 3 virtual machine (AVM2).  The bytecodes are in effect the machine language for a non-existent CPU (that's why it's "virtual"), same as with Java bytecodes, Python bytecodes, and other virtual-machine based languages.

The different SDKs include the same AS3 compiler (v4.1.0 build 16076), so the bytecode they produce is the same.  Note also that the reviewers are not "using an SDK" (implied possibly by your wording), as they aren't compiling the code, but could be using a simulator.  They may also just be using actual PlayBooks, and I'd suspect that's even more likely given that the latest simulator... as we know... s*cks.  (Or they're using the simulator and that explains why it takes 15 days to test an app... all that crashing, you know. Smiley Happy )

If the version of the AIR runtime (which includes AVM2) they are using is different than whichever one is in the simulator you're using, or if the version of the QNX libraries they have installed is different (and that's likely), then definitely some behaviours could be different.

Chances are they are quickly getting quite good at identifying when something is broken because of such differences, and when it's just buggy code.

Not sure any of that helps.  Did you have something specific in mind here, or just general interest?

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: other

[ Edited ]

I was slightly concerned if the AppWorld reviewers use an entirely different/newer simulator than us, which could possibly introduce new bugs.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

That is certainly possible, since we saw many thing break from the last SDK.  But if they do have issues, they will contact you with the problems so you have a chance to correct them.  If you cannot becasue you dont have accesss to the SDK fixes,  then you will probably have to wait for the fix or find a work around.  This should not impact your chances of getting a free PB.