Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

BB10 ActionBar usage

For the ActionBar that is provided in the BB10 3 SDK that is along the bottom.  Is there suppose to be one bar for the entire app (similar to the app bar gesture from the top) or should there be a new ActionBar for every "page" being displayed?  And if it is a different action bar per page, is it the same physical bar with the actions just changing or does the action bar pan off with the page (so its attached to the page vs. attached to the app).

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Dev Alpha C, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB10 ActionBar usage

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Action Bar is a control designed to be placed at the bottom of the screen and can contain actions, tabs, or both. The Action Bar supports an overflow menu, which is shown from the right, and can be populated with actions. It also supports a sidebar menu, which is shown from the left, and can be populated with tabs. Obviously for games and other immersive applications this wouldnt be always applicable so use your best judgment for your given situation.

Yes you can change the actions on the action bar depending on the page the user is on. 

It is attached to the bottom of the page and will not pan off like on the PlayBook OS. 

You can read more about Action Bars in the UI Guidelines here.

More updates to the Action bar are upcoming in the next beta release. 

Cheers,

Dustin 

Follow me on Twitter: @dustinmalik
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep up to date on BlackBerry development: http://devblog.blackberry.com/
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

I am confused about the usage too and the current answer confuses me even more.

I just watched a BB10 Jam video. It seems that a Acion Bar should be attached to each page bacause it pans with the page. In the sample the app started with a welcome page with four tabs on the bottom. By tapping one tab a new page moved from right to left over the starting page and this new page contained a new Acion Bar with a back button. 

I can imagine a situation where a page has a segmented control on the top to filter content. In this case the app stays on the same page and the actions of the  Action Bar can be changed depending on the state of the page.

But when i "...change the actions on the action bar depending on the page the user is on (dmalik) " the one actionbar will not be animated when the page changes. It will stay always on the bottom and change its content abruptly...and this will not look very well, imo. 

Please correct me if i am wrong. I am still confused.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a unique ActionBar on each page. I have the tabs only act on that page (view state changes). Actions change based on the state of the page (what might be selected). I have actions that might take me to another page. The flow seems to work fine.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: vodafone

Thanks again jtegen . Your approach makes a lot of sense to me.