Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
Developer
My Device: PB
My Carrier: ATT

BB10 + FDT

After massive amounts of re-writing, I do have FDT deploying to the Dev Alpha simulator, and I agree that FDT Free isn't really useable.

I'm stuck over its confusion of XML: won't compile because name is also an XML function.

What is the correct syntax?  without NS, I use: xml.[ "name" ]

public function get appName() : String
		{
			var app_xml : XML = NativeApplication.nativeApplication.applicationDescriptor;
			var ns      : Namespace = app_xml.namespace();
			return app_xml.ns::name;
		}

Developer
Developer

Re: BB10 + FDT

OK, I too am giving up on FDT:

On adding a directory to the package contents, it uses the complete path, but then prepends the base path when it tries to package, which fails - and you can't edit the path it added...

Regards,

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

HI,

I found the same bug, very anoying indeed, I worked around this by packaging using ANT scripts...

I'm not sure if this particular bug rests on RIM side for the BB plugin, or FDT IDE...

Just before you give up, would you please confirm and vote up these bug report tickets?

http://bugs.powerflasher.com/jira/browse/FDT-2739

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-11

Thanks!!

Julien
Web: smugrik.org Follow: @Smugrik
PlayBook apps:
OSCream
kiPass
Developer
Developer

would like to but seems I am not a group member...
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Your syntax is correct and works fine in FlashBuilder under BB10. I game up on FDT weeks ago. Noth worth trying the free version and not worth spending the $400+. If they fix the problems and you do not have Flash Builder, worth considering. Just not yet.
Highlighted
Developer
Developer

yes, pretty sure that syntax was right, just wanted to learn the alternative.

tried using the "default xml namespace = app_xml.namespace()"

but that crashes (FB + tablet SDK 2.0 and FDT + BB10):

TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.

Finally, just got rid of namespace:

return app_xml["name"];

though I didn't check the actual result so may not have worked.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Chalk up another person giving up on FDT.  

The free version is completely unclear on whether it doesn't support profiling at all, or whether it supports it with a time limit of 30 seconds of profiling (there's an FDT blog post somewhere about how that's all you get unless you pay the subscription).  I tried bringing up the profiler in the free version, and the profiling perspective came up, but the memory usage graph and live object pane did not get populated with any data when I ran their profiling demo app ... so it was utterly unclear what was really going on with profiling (i.e. was it disabled completely because I was using the free version, but yet showing the profiling perspective anyway?).

Furthermore, the subscription pricing page seems to indicate that there is a trial period for paying subscribers, but there is no explanation of how the trial works, when your card gets charged, etc.  If I go to try to buy a license, the e-commerce site they use appears to want to charge my card right away, with no explanation there either about if a trial period exists or how it works.

These FDT guys are IMO completely confused about what constitutes a good customer experience.

Buh-bye, Powerflasher.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

BTW for a free alternative IDE, you might try FlashDevelop.  

It's what I've been using since early 2011, and it's great for the limited functions I use it for (code auto-complete and flushing gross errors of compilation and linkage).  

For actual sim and device targeted builds I just use my homegrown commandline build "flow" (WIndows batch files with a bit of flow control and environment variable code factoring).  Makes for good build flow auditability in revision control, and I've never feared commandlines, so, it works for me.