Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Blackberry Playbook news thread

I thought it was a good idea to have a news thread so we can discuss the latest Playbook news and it's implications on us developers.

So I'll start by posting the latest rumor:

Playbook Battery Life Problems

And there's also the rumor/news that Blackberry will be showing the Playbook at CES!

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Blackberry Playbook rumours thread

zezke wrote:

I thought it was a good idea to have a news thread so we can discuss the latest Playbook news and it's implications on us developers. 

I'd vote strongly against calling it a "news" thread but posting rumours. 

And please, let's not confuse everybody (especially those around here who don't read things carefully) by mixing up concrete developer information (or even slightly fuzzy info that might help) with junk that has no direct bearing on our development efforts.  There's already crackberry.com if you want to read or spread rumours.

(Though I can't imagine anyone actually thinking the PlayBook would not be shown at CES.  Like, duh! Smiley Happy  )

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

well, if that rumour about the poor battery life is true i bet us developers would be getting those!  lol. Smiley Very Happy  

but that would still be ok with me, since i mostly plan on using the free PlayBook as a development device that will likely be tethered to my desktop most of the time.

PlayBook Applications:
Drop Swatch
Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

[ Edited ]

Same here, it will be mainly a development device.

@peter Sorry if it was a bad idea. A mod may always close it.

EDIT: an update

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Developer

Re: Blackberry Playbook news thread

RIM has responded to the battery life rumour with a nice clear statement, as apparently seen by "every tech reporter under the sun" (as one reporter wrote):

“Any testing or observation of battery life to date by anyone outside of RIM would have been performed using pre-beta units that were built without power management implemented. RIM is on track with its schedule to optimize the BlackBerry PlayBook’s battery life and looks forward to providing customers with a professional grade tablet that offers superior performance with comparable battery life.”

(That word "comparable" could be taken as referring to competitors, or to the word "superior", so who knows what they really mean, but it's pretty clearly a refutation of the bogus claim made by Shaw Wu in the first place.)

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I dont know.  I read "...offers superior performance with comparable battery life", as the battery life will be comparable to the the performance of the system and not to other tablets.  If you want a high performance system, battery life will be proportional.  Higher perfromace, lower life.

But the statement could have multiple meanings...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

Oh those tricksy corporate press releases...Robot wink

But yeah, I was amazed that anyone bought the story in the first place (not to say that Playbook will definitely not have any battery issues, just that the story was really vague).

So much for RIM to do and so little time. I'm hoping they get it right.

Developer

[ Edited ]

News is starting to flow out of CES, as you can see on Google News' RIM/PlayBook results

Relevant to this thread, in an Information Week hands-on with the product manager Ryan Biden we learn that their "fully competitive" target for battery life is 8 hours "in regular use".

Edit: originally I mentioned a suspicious but missing WSJ post that Google had cached with a title suggesting the tablet would be delay till summer.  Once WSJ fixed it, it turned out just to be mentioning the 4G version that will launch with Sprint in the summer.  The first release is still "definitely in Q1".

Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

I kept pausing the video when he flipped screens to see if my app was there Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900/Z10 Special Edition
My Carrier: Rogers

No delay. Its the 4G version that people are mistaking certain information to be about.
CEO/Lead Developer - Tensioncore™ Design Studios
http://tncr.ws/ - ShortenThis!™ for Blackberry Playbook | ShortenThis!™ for BlackBerry® 10
The Periodical Toe A highly informative Table of Elements
DrawThis! A fun drawing app for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™!
http://www.tensioncore.com/ - Tensioncore™ Web Hosting