Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

CameraUI Not Supported in Release Build?

I recently developed an application using Flash Builder 4.5 and 4.6 that requires use of the camera. Throughout the development, I tested the camera on the Playbook and it worked just fine with the debug builds on the device. With the app nearing completion, I made a signed Release Build and installed it to the Playbook via the comand line using the BB Tablet SDK tools. I noticed that suddenly I could no longer take pictures from my app and CameraUI.isSupported is suddenly now false, even though it is working fine with a debug build installed through Flash Builder. I checked the permissions in FB and on the device and use_camera is enabled. Any ideas?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: CameraUI Not Supported in Release Build?

You may need the access_shared action, as pictures are saved to the shared folder.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

No, I had access_shared in my properties also. After wasting 3 days of programming time, I ended up changing the tag <permission> to <action> in my blackberry-tablet.xml and that did the trick. Why it was recognizing the access_internet permission and not the other two... I don't know. RIM fail.

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

"permission" tags are the "old" way to do it. I tend to do have both sets since the IDE recognizes one format and the packaging the other.
New Developer
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: M1

Hello,

Does this work for the BB10 Alpha device as well? I tried changing the permission to action at the bar-descriptor and on both occassions I get CameraUI is not supported.

code from my app: 

if(CameraUI.isSupported){
camUI.launch(MediaType.IMAGE);
trace("supported");
}else{
trace("not supported");
}

code from bar-descriptor:

<action>access_shared</action>
<!-- <permission>record_audio</permission> -->
<!-- <permission>read_geolocation</permission> -->
<action>use_camera</action>