Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Close button mandatory?

Is a close button mandatory in an app for the tablet?

Thanks

Nicolas

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

Re: Close button mandatory?

As there is a standard gesture for closing an app i wouldn't call it mandatory. I added one just because i had a menu anyway. But users will probably get used to use the swipe up gesture and use the build in close button fairly quickly.  

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook?
My Carrier: WiFi

I personally find a close button aesthetically disrupting when a device has built in ways of closing apps (whether in the form of a swipe for the PlayBook or home buttons for other devices).

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I have close buttons on all my apps, but once I get a PB and can see which is more effective (assuming PB way is), then I will remove it.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Free PlayBook

I think a close button on playbook app would be about same as a close button on a windows program. Maybe you could put your close button at the very bottom next to the up swipe bezel.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

I see it more as a Menu-> Exit which a lot of windows programm have. I agree with John and will probably remove my exit icon if i see that the swipe up->exit is used anyway.

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah willyyr. When I was working on my first app with a dropdown menu I had a close button in it but I removed it. If you want a close button that would be the place to put it. About like the file exit menu item in a windows program. But how often do you use that?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I'd guess that a Menu -> Exit mechanism is doomed to disuse, whereas a clear Close/Done/Exit button visible on an app's top page may have a greater chance of being used. In some apps (e.g. many games with a simple top menu) this may be a reasonable way to offer the user an alternative.

Menu->Exit is at least two user actions, which is no better than three other supported mechanisms.  It's also app-specific, so I suspect many users just won't remember it.  I don't think I'd add a Menu->Exit option, but in some apps I'd use the dedicated Close button.

The system-supported mechanisms, to judge from the Mike Lazaridis demo at CES, are now these:

1. bottom swipe to minimize app, then drag app up to toss it off the top of the screen, closing it
  2. bottom swipe to minimize app, then tap X widget that appears just after app title, closing it
  3. left/right swipe between apps, and while an app is still semi-minimized (not full-screen) drag app up to close it

We have no guarantees any of those will survive to the release, of course.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Trusted Contributor

Another thing to think about is the playbook is a true mutltitasking machine. Why close your app? Swipe left/right to the next app you want to use. Close apps when you start running out of memory. I'd probably have 10 apps open all of the time.Smiley Very Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

@PBDev, at first my reaction to your post was that I think I'd probably want to close my apps quickly when I was done with them.

Upon further though, however, I suspect what I'd really do is leave things open initially, as I launch new apps, and then from time to time as I'm swiping between apps I'd notice one that I'm pretty much done with and close it then, when I think of it. 

If that's true, then I would definitely be making use of one of the swiping techniques more often than I'd reactivate an app just to search for whatever app-specific close button/menu it supports.

Man, we really need to get some real hardware so we can get a better feel for what will constitute "usability" on these things!  Or at least a new version of the simulator that has enough capability (e.g. real settings, video, audio, etc) that we can immerse ourselves in it for long enough to find these things out.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!