Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

DIsplaying Other Languages

I've found that PlayBook can natively display a lot of languages, including Chinese, Korean, Greek, Hebrew, Arabic...

But I've bumped into one it cannot -- Tamil.  It shows up as all boxes with an "X" in them.

Is there a way to add support to display additional languages?  Would simply embedding an appropriate font be sufficient?

Thanks!

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: DIsplaying Other Languages

The PlayBook includes many fonts -- have you checked only one of them?  I'd be a bit surprised if not a single one of those includes the Tamil glyphs.

Otherwise, yes, embedded a suitable font would work.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE #00055
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

For all the other languages I've tried, the PlayBook automatically detects and applies the non-English font.  For example, if I have Chinese text, it will display in Chinese font, and regardless of what other English font I manually set, it will still appear the same.

But I do see a Tamil font in the list you provided in the link, I'll try manually setting the font and see if it works.  Thanks!

VENTURCON
For BB10: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, PM Assist
For PlayBook: e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, Business Analysis Toolbox
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

jetstreamblue wrote:

For all the other languages I've tried, the PlayBook automatically detects and applies the non-English font.  For example, if I have Chinese text, it will display in Chinese font, and regardless of what other English font I manually set, it will still appear the same.

But I do see a Tamil font in the list you provided in the link, I'll try manually setting the font and see if it works.  Thanks!

I think these are all basically Unicode fonts, which means they include far more than just the Latin glyphs. Any one of them could include all the English, Chinese, and even Tamil characters.  The fonts can also contain pretty much any subset of the possible glyphs, so I think it's simply that those you tried happened to contain the Chinese characters, but not the Tamil ones.  The ones that you see as "Tamil fonts" are probably just a different subset, which contain the Tamil characters as well as many others but, possibly, not Chinese.

In the end, whatever works. Smiley Happy

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!