Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Design View in Burrito

Part of the reason I upgraded to Burrito (or rather tried to, as I still failed, see http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Error-Username-or-password-is-inv...), is that I (thought?) I read somewhere about the new "Design View" in Burrito with its ability to design screens in a WYSIWYG-style.

However, now that I started up Burrito, I can't see the "Design view" button (e.g. as seen in first screenshot of http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/whatsnew_flashbuilder_burrito.html)

Is there a way to activate it?

Or (more probably), I am mistaken and Design view is not available for "Action Script Mobile Projects"? (and only if I would use this .mxml thing)?

(If the latter is true, what's the big advantage of Burrito then? Thought Design view was one of the main arguments...)

---

Playbook app: Fuel Dashboard

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Design View in Burrito

hey vaiomike,

yes you are correct in assuming that you must create a Flex Mobile Project and not an ActionScript Mobile Project in order to see the "Design View". this will result in you coding via Flex structure (MXML) and not the plain old AS3 way. the difference between the two programs is from what i've seen is the Hero SDK. I dont believe it is offered for flash builder 4.0.1. The Hero SDK brings fixes and optimization to the older SDK that makes it more usuable on mobile / touch enabled devices (from what i've read). Also i've noticed that exporting and testing on the playbook simulator is much easier and straight forward on Burrito compared to the Flash Builder 4.0.1.

That being said I am currently using Flash Builder Burrito and code in pure ActionScript. To me its easier and i enjoy the challenge of working without a WYSIWYG editor. There are pros and cons to both structures but in the end its whats easiest for you.

if you want to use the design view in burrito and develop for the playbook, here is a link to a Knowledge Base article on how to do just that:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Tablet-OS-SDK-for-Adobe-AIR/Flex-for-the-BlackBerry-PlayBook-...

Its a walk through of how to create your own app and the settings you need to make to make design view and the blackberry SDK work.

i hope this clears a few things up. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

J. Rab, thanks for clarifying those things up for me.

(My misconception was I thought mxml was not available for Playbook development. Whether I'll make use of WYSIWYG or not in the end I dunno yet - but for beginners, WYSIWYG should be an easy way to discover and fiddle around w/ all the different UI elements that are available...)

---

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey,

initially when the RIM started asking for applications, it was thought that MXML applications would not be accepted because you could not use the SDK that was meant to be used for the playbook. however with the rollout of burrito and its added compatibilty, it is now possible to make an efficient app using MXML.

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
Developer

alright. then I wasn't entirely wrong in what I remembered back from the early webcasts...Smiley Happy

thx for clarification.

---