Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

My Device: Not Specified

Developing in QNX only or MXML and QNX

[ Edited ]

I just started this week and am new to mobile app development and to Flex but am enjoying the process. I'm also used to coding on the server side and don't have much experience with GUI development although I did take a Java course years ago and did some AWT.

I've watched the webcasts, read the key blogs on mixing MXML and QNX and have tried it and got everything working.I'm trying to decide whether I should just code the entire thing just using ActionScript and the QNX SDK controls or if I should try to use MXML with QNX and the Spark/Flex SDK.

The advantages of using MXML appear to be much less coding but I'm not sure if writing XML as code will make development and code management more difficult as the app grows. I'm old school and used to plain code and not used to HTML/XML. I have worked with XML a bit and MXML doesn't look that complicated and brevity is always a good thing.

The other part I'm struggling with is mixing MXML with QNX. Some have advised against it on this forum but looking at the examples that Renaun posted on his blog it doesn't appear too complicated. He says to simply wrap the QNX controls in a QContainer. We typically have to wrap controls in a container anyways so I don't see why mixing QNX controls and Spark controls would be too complicated. Perhaps I haven't gotten far enough down the road yet.

Regardless of MXML, why not code the entire app solely using QNX? I'm assuming coding solely using the Flex SDK would be out of the question since we will be needing some controls that were designed for the PlayBook.

On the other hand, if my application doesn't use that many features of the PlayBook and is basically a simple app with some data storage and timers, can I get away with using all MXML and not even use any QNX?

I was able to use the GUI designer and get a simple test program loaded onto the simulator. I did this by not including the QNX library. As soon as I included the QNX library the GUI designer stopped working. I'm not sure the GUI designer is that advantageous since it was a bit tricky moving containers around and as someone suggested, coding is sometimes easier than struggling with the GUI designer. Perhaps the GUI designer is only useful at the very beginning to set things up. I also noticed the GUI designer would generate code using absolute sizing and one of the webcasts mentioned using relative sizing/positioning.

Would be interesting to hear how many are developing with QNX only versus using QNX with MXML and their experiences and recommendations.