Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Developer
My Device: Blackberry Q10
My Carrier: Sprint

Developing with actual device instead of the simulator

After reading the review and watching the videos from Crackberry, a significant question comes to mind.  I've always assumed that once we have the devices in our hands, development would change so that we'd connect to an actual device rather than to the simulator.  This makes me wonder what load time over USB is vs FlashBuilder connecting directly to the simulator.

But, more importantly, after having had many situations where I re-installed the ISO into VM, it doesn't seem that Desktop Manager has a facility to do a wipe/reinstall since all updates are handled OTA.  Does anyone have any information on this?  There is certainly a backup facility for the Playbook in DM, but what if you brick your Playbook with an app you're testing.

I think that:

a) there needs to be a way for us to refresh our Playbooks to original status and

b) we're going to need the simulator for pre-device testing and

c) the simulator will need to stay close to the actual device in terms of functionality for some time to come unless we get a and b.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Developing with actual device instead of the simulator

Wingflap wrote:

This makes me wonder what load time over USB is vs FlashBuilder connecting directly to the simulator.

But, more importantly, after having had many situations where I re-installed the ISO into VM, it doesn't seem that Desktop Manager has a facility to do a wipe/reinstall since all updates are handled OTA.  Does anyone have any information on this?  There is certainly a backup facility for the Playbook in DM, but what if you brick your Playbook with an app you're testing.

I think that:

a) there needs to be a way for us to refresh our Playbooks to original status and

b) we're going to need the simulator for pre-device testing and

c) the simulator will need to stay close to the actual device in terms of functionality for some time to come unless we get a and b.

For the first item, I'm not very interested in installing over USB when I can install over WiFi, which should also be quite a bit faster.

Secondly, I actually expect for the most part we'll not have to do many of the things we've had to do with the simulator, including these reinstalls.  I think those are largely the result of the sim being, roughly, garbage or to be more generous about it, an old build with deliberate restrictions added, on a different platform than the real thing.

Also, I believe there's a magic reset sequence which can basically restore lots of the OS stuff to a "reset" state of some kind.  Not certain about that... I think it's something they used at the Dev Day when our unit had trouble, as opposed to a simple power off/on.

And Mike K did tell me at the Toronto Dev Day that there will be an updated simulator that's very very close to the actual 1.0 device, including having many of the standard apps installed.

In short, I also have many questions about how development will look in, say, a week, but I am also confident RIM has answers to these questions and is simply sitting on them for now, for their own reasons.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
My Device: 9700

"And Mike K did tell me at the Toronto Dev Day that there will be an updated simulator that's very very close to the actual 1.0 device, including having many of the standard apps installed."

This year?  My guess is next month when they release the native SDK.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

I don't see how they could leave us with a 0.9.4 sdk when come next week we technically will be able to test on the device....

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -
New Developer
My Device: 9700

That's because you're not a cynic like me.  Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Bell

There will always be a place for the simulator. First off, you often want to do a certain amount of simulator testing before hitting the real device, to make life easier if something really nasty goes wrong.

Now, suppose that RIM comes out with a new PlayBook model, that has among other features a different screen resolution. Unless you're a multi-million dollar development house like EA, you're not going to get access to early hardware, but you still want to test your apps for forward (and backward) compatibility, look and feel with different screen, etc. An updated simulator with the new features, and ability to switch among models, is then critical.

I am doing some parallel development work in the Android (yeah, I know...) environment. It's a bit more bizarre over there because they have so many different manufactures, models, screen shapes, densities, dimensions, on and on and on. But the emulator environment on Android is pretty handy and reasonably well thought out. And launching an app test on either the emulator or real hardware is a snap from within Eclipse. Launch an app, and if a device is connected via USB, you get to choose where you want to run the test.

The WiFi connectivity for testing PlayBook should be even more convenient...I do hope we get to the same level of convenience though for rapid-fire testing on emulator/simulator and real hardware, back and forth.

On Android, I've found that the app startup time over USB to an actual device (in this case a Samsung Galaxy tab) is about equal to the Android simulator, running on the same quad core desktop as my Eclipse development environment.

Unfortunately for me, my main desktop system is running Linux (not that that's bad in itself). So that leads to complications using the RIM/Adobe development tools, given that Adobe has pretty much abandoned Linux for FB development. I'm getting by with Actionscript in Eclipse without the benefit of FB, for now. All the Android tools I've seen so far work seamlessly across desktop platforms...unlike the Windows-centric tools from RIM/Adobe.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook (sim)
My Carrier: Rogers

KenSalmon, I'm not aruging that a simulator is still neccessary. I'm just taken aback by the fact that usually simulator software is ahead of actual hardware/release software, not the other way around.

- If you like my response/post, or it helped you find an answer you were looking for, please provide a Kudo - white star to the bottom right of this post. -
- Please use the search bar at the top, or check out the PlayBook FAQ's for help getting started -
- Hockey DrillBook -