Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Adobe AIR Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: playbook developer
My Carrier: playbook developer

Development in FlashDevelop 4

Hi,

Is there anybody who has been able to use FlashDevelop 4 (along with latest Flex, AIR and BlackBerry OS SDK)?

There are couple of old tutorials online but none work. (brunoimbrizi.com/unbox/2011/04/flashdevelop-and-blackberry-playbook/ and http://www.studiochris.us/2010/flashdevelop-and-blackberry-playbook-development-the-basics/)

So far I am able to use the QNX items and can see that the thing works in AIR but when exported to virtual tablet the app closes at the instant it is opened. So far I was unable to deploy the BAR file to the physical tablet from FlashDevelop 4.

Thanks.

ps. I have already ran out of my Flash Builder...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Re: Development in FlashDevelop 4

I have been using FlashDevelop 4 for all AIR development, however I only use its build commands for quick iterations on business logic in ADL.  For compile/deploy/test to the simulator or PlayBook, I wrote some simple WIndows batch files to wrap various commandline tool invocations.  These files are copied to each project directory via a FlashDevelop project template, so they are available in the FD gui's project tree view and can be executed directly from there.  I think you can also hook in to the "play" button's options using a dialog that lets you specify a custom build command.

As for your app crashing on the device, I can only speculate, but here's one suggestion. Unzip your bar file that you've been deploying to your device, and check whether all the assets you expect to be packaged are actually there and in their correct filepath relative to the project root, and check whether your code recovers gracefully from trying to load a non existent asset.  

Developer
My Device: playbook developer
My Carrier: playbook developer

Re: Development in FlashDevelop 4

Thanks for the reply,  I get what you mean with the batch files. Also, a quick update I have managed to solve the crashing issue (by carefully reading the tutorials I mentioned). All the files needs to be in the same folder.

Yet, I still am unable to test my code with the physical device and/or sign them successfully. But I will post it if I manage to do so.